Preheat oven to 150ºC
- 1 tbls butter
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 10 small white onions, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g bacon, diced
- 1 bouquet garni
- Sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 30ml brandy
- 750ml white wine
- 200g button mushrooms
- Flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- In an ovenproof dish, melt butter and oil and brown the chicken, remove and drain. Add onions, garlic, bacon, bouquet garni, salt and pepper to dish, stir until onions are transparent then return the chicken to the pan.
- Increase the heat, add the brandy and stir until evaporated – be careful as it may flame. Pour over white wine, cover and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for one hour or until the chicken is tender. After 30 minutes add the button mushrooms.
- Serve in wide bowls, sprinkled with parsley.
Looking for some great wine suggestions to go with this recipe? Click here >>