Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 6 Atlantic salmon steaks
- 1 cup (250ml) blood orange juice
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2-3 bunches asparagus
- 4 medium Desiree potatoes, peeled & grated
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt and cracked pepper
- Pour orange juice into a saucepan and reduce by two thirds, leaving approximately 80ml of liquid. Pour into a large bowl to cool slightly, before whisking in the oil, salt and cracked pepper.
- Peel and grate potatoes and mix through the chopped dill.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick fry pan until hot, measure a third of a cup portion of the grated potato and flatten down with an egg lifter. Cook on a medium heat, 2-3 minutes on each side, until a deep golden colour and crisp. Cook in two batches. Put potato cakes onto absorbent paper and keep warm.
- Trim and steam asparagus until just tender.
- Season Atlantic salmon with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over a high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil to pan and cook salmon on both sides for 2 minutes each side, until medium rare.
To serve, place potato cake on a warm plate, top with salmon and spears of asparagus, drizzle with vinaigrette and garnish with a few sprigs of dill.
Note: The vinaigrette can be made in advance. You can also make and cook the potato cakes and warm them up in the oven before serving. If blood oranges are out of season, use a good, juicy, navel orange instead; you just won’t get such an intense colour.
Looking for some great wine suggestions to go with this recipe? Click here >>