- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1/3 cup white wine or water
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika or sweet paprika.
- 3 tbls olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 2 boned chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, sliced into strips
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 500g Spanish paella rice
- 1¼ L chicken stock, boiling
- 10 mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- 10 green prawns, peeled
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- Place saffron in a bowl with white wine and Spanish paprika and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, wide pan and brown chorizo sausage and chicken. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic and onion to the same pan and gently sauté until softened. Add capsicum and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add saffron, white wine and paprika and stir in rice and cook for a further 5 minutes, gently stirring until wine is absorbed.
- Add boiling stock, gently simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, occasionally stirring to cook evenly.
- Arrange mussels, prawns, chicken, chorizo and snow peas on top of paella and cover with foil and continue cooking slowly for 10-15 minutes. If paella is too dry add a little more stock. Turn off heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Looking for some great wine suggestions to go with this recipe? Click here >>