- 1.5kg beef rump or veal (sometimes hard to get this size for beef)
Fennel and Sage Rub
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- ¼ cup sage leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground peppercorns
- 1 tbsp (20ml) olive oil
Grilled radicchio, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes
- 2 heads radicchio
- 1 tbsp (20ml) olive oil, extra
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze or caramelised balsamic vinegar
- 6 medium flat mushrooms, stalks removed
- 350g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Remove beef from fridge. Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan-forced).
- Blend the fennel and sage rub ingredients in a pestle and mortar or food processor until it is a paste. Score the fat of the beef rump and rub over the fennel and sage rub.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the beef. Cover then place in a baking tray in oven and cook for 60 minutes for medium or until the meat thermometer reaches 70˚C. Remove and cover loosely and rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the radicchio in half lengthways and then in three, ensuring some of the stem is attached to each piece. Submerge the radicchio in iced water for at least 5 minutes to clean and reduce excess bitterness. Drain well on kitchen towel. Combine extra olive oil and balsamic glaze and toss gently through radicchio.
- Heat griddle pan over medium heat. Cook glazed radicchio and flat mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. One minute before the radicchio and flat mushrooms are tender, add tomatoes and toss until softened. Combine with radicchio and any glaze left in bowl.
- Serve slices of beef rump with grilled vegetables.