- For a dish 26 cm in diameter
- 200g wholemeal biscuits
- 80g butter
- 6 finger limes
- 3 eggs
- 100g sugar
- 50g cornflour
- 400ml milk
- 400g King Island pure cream
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Put the biscuits into a bag and crush with a rolling pin. Melt the butter, remove from the heat and mix in the biscuit crumbs. Spread on the base of the pie dish and chill for one hour.
- Wash the finger limes in hot water, grate the rind of five of them, squeezing out the juice, (around 150ml) and the tiny ‘bubbles’ of fruit.
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour, grated lime rind and 100ml milk until creamy. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil, then remove from the heat and stir the egg yolk mixture into the milk. Return to the boil, stirring constantly, then cook over a low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Add the lime juice and finger lime fruit ’bubbles’ and cook for a further half a minute. Leave the lime cream to cool, stirring from time to time. Mix the cream and the icing sugar, then fold into the lime creme. Whisk the egg whites very stiffly, add a pinch of salt and fold into the lime creme. Spread the creme on the biscuit base and chill for 2 hours.
- Thinly slice the remaining lime and use to decorate the pie.
Looking for some great wine suggestions to go with this recipe? Click here >>