Casserole Braise Recipes
Pip Karmel's Lapin Guerin
- Whole rabbit - cut into pieces, dusted with flour
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 500g button mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed
- 2 parsnips, julienne
- Make sure the rabbit is completely dusted in the flour.
- In a heavy casserole dish sauté onions in olive oil. Add rabbit and brown until golden, turning often. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper and stock. Cover and cook for one hour on a low flame or in the oven at 180C, until the meat falls easily off the bones.
- Add vegetables such as carrots or parsnips after rabbit has cooked for 30 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
Suggested wine match