6 duck neck skins
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
300g minced pork
300g minced duck
150g diced ham
¼ cup shelled pistachio nuts
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp chopped thyme
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Recipe by Adrian Richardson
Photography by Kristoffer Paulsen
1. Turn the duck necks inside out and trim away the glands or tubes. Turn back the right way round and lightly season all over.
2. Combine stuffing ingredients into a large mixing bowl and use your hands to mix everything together thoroughly. Divide the stuffing mixture into 6 portions.
3. Carefully fill the duck necks with the stuffing mixture to form a fat sausage, leaving some excess skin at either end. Lay each sausage on a square of plastic wrap and roll up tightly. Twist the ends and secure with butchers string. Now wrap each sausage again in aluminium foil – double wrapping is important, as it helps the sausage maintain a firm shape when poaching.
4. Place the sausages in a large pan of cold water. Bring to a gentle simmer and poach the sausages for 35 minutes. Lift them out carefully and place them in a bowl of iced water. When cold, remove from the water and pat dry on a tea towel. Keep the sausages in their wrapping until ready to roast. They can be pre-prepared to this stage up to 4 days ahead of time.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Arrange the sausages on a wire rack in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and roast for 8-10 minutes, turning from time to time, until evenly coloured and cooked through. Remove from oven and rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.