Alanna Sapwell's cucumber gribiche white anchovies
Alanna Sapwell's Cucumber gribiche white anchovies recipe has delicate yet complex flavours in this dish and pairs well with a Sparkling white with similar characteristics. A vintage style or layered NV would be a mouth-watering match.
1pkt small cucumber (qukes)
10 pickled white anchovies
2 large free range eggs
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon hot English mustard
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
100ml neutral oil (vegetable/grape seed)
Small hand full of tarragon
Small handful of chervil
2 tablespoons capers in vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped cornichons
Begonia flowers or herbs to garnish
Recipe by Alanna Sapwell
Photography by Cory Rossiter
1. Boil the eggs for 8 mins. Drain, cool and peel.
2. Slice the eggs in half. Pop out the yolk. Slice the whites and set aside.
3. Mash the yolks up with the mustards and vinegar, then whisk in the neutral oil to emulsify. Add chopped herbs, capers and cornichons to the mix.
4. To assemble – cut the cucumber in half length ways and scrape out centre with a small spoon.
5. Spoon in gribiche mix then place 2-3 slices of egg whites on one side and pickled anchovy on the other side. Top with something fresh – I prefer begonia flowers or shiso.