Alanna Sapwell's padron pepper toasted rice fish floss
Alanna Sapwell's Padron pepper, toasted rice, fish floss recipe pairs well with a crisp white or dry Rosé – just keep the pairing fresh and bright.
40 padron pepper
90g pandan leaves (optional)
1-2g Agar agar (available in Asian supermarkets)
200g raw fish
Recipe by Alanna Sapwell
Photography by Cory Rossiter
1. Chop pandan finely and cover with milk and cream for 24 hours to infuse.
2. Toast rice in frying pan, constantly moving rice on medium heat until it looks and smells heavenly.
3. Strain milk and cream and heat with sugar until dissolved then add in rice and infuse for 25 mins.
4. Strain and reheat with agar, bring to the boil, cool and leave a minimum of 2 hours to set before blending.
5. Fish floss – with any left over raw fish (I’ve used albacore) place in 50/ 50 mix of sugar and salt to cover. Once hard (about a week) remove from salt mix then smoke, dehydrate and grate to use.
6. To assemble – lightly oil and salt peppers and bbq. Take off heat and spritz with lemon before grating fish floss on top. Serve with toasted rice cream to dip in.
A crisp white or dry Rosé