2L chicken stock
25g unsalted butter
450g (about 2 ¼ cups) carnaroli rice
1 pinch of saffron threads
25g veal bone marrow (order from yourbutcher), finely chopped
75g cold acid butter
50g Grana Padano, freshly grated
Recipe by: Alessandro Pavoni
Photography by: John Paul Urizar
Styling by: Michaela Le Compte
1. Place the stock in a heavy-based saucepan over high heat and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
2. Melt the unsalted butter in a deep heavybased frying pan over medium heat. Add the rice and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 2–3 minutes or until very hot but not coloured – it should start to smell toasty.
3. Add the saffron and enough stock to just cover the rice and cook for 8 minutes, adding more stock a ladle at a time as each ladleful is absorbed, shaking the pan to combine. Do not stir. After 8 minutes, start stirring. Cook for another 7–9 minutes or until rice is al dente, adding more stock as needed and stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and set aside for 1 minute.
4. Add the bone marrow, acid butter and Grana Padano and, using a wooden spoon and shaking the pan, beat to create a creamy consistency, adding a little more stock if necessary to get the right consistency.
5. Spoon onto flat plates and tap each plate gently on a tea towel-covered workbench to flatten out the risotto. Serve.