Lemon and Marjoram from My Market Kitchen
We're back with My Market Kitchen for Season 6 of a food and wine adventure! You can tune in at 3:30PM weekdays on Channel 10.
On this episode, Chef Tobie Puttock creates a BBQ Chicken with Mascarpone dish that specifically celebrates the Mornington Peninsula wine region. Adam Walls suggest a wine pairing of the Paringa Estate Peninsula Chardonnay 2019 or the Red Claw Pinot Gris 2018 to complement this great dish!
1 free-range corn fed chicken, about 1.5kg boned
2 tablespoons of roughly chopped marjoram
4 tablespoons of mascarpone cheese
4 slices of proscuitto, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1.5 lemons
1 brick wrapped in aluminium foil
1. Remove both sides of the chicken; reserve the carcass for a stock.
2. Mix the marjoram, chopped proscuitto, mascarpone and season to taste.
3. Use your fingers to carefully loosen the skin from the flesh to create two pockets, one at the breast end and one at the leg end.
4. Place a large tablespoonful of the mascarpone mixture into each of the pockets. Season the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
5. Place a large non-stick pan over a medium/ high heat and add the butter and a tablespoon of olive oil, jiggle the pan to combine the two and once the butter starts to sizzle carefully lay in the two chicken halves skin side down, side by side. Reduce the heat to medium/low and then place the brick on top of the chicken. Cook the chicken for around 7-8 minutes on each side, turning only once and checking from time to time to be sure that it’s not burning. If it is colouring too quickly simply reduce the heat.
6. Test the chicken to make sure its cooked by pulling a leg away from the body, if the juices run pink you need to cook the chicken until the juices run clear.
7. When the chicken is cooked place the pan over a medium heat and squeeze in the lemon juice to combine with the mascarpone that’s run into the base of the pan from the chicken. Turn the chicken so this it’s coated with the mascarpone and lemon mixture.
8. Serve hot