1.2 kg beef short ribs
2/3 cup of plain flour
Salt and pepper, to season
550ml vegetable oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large brown onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
375ml Girt by Sea Cabernet Merlot
or another red wine
1 bay leaf
8 sprigs thyme
4 medium eschallots, finely diced
5 cm piece fresh ginger, finely diced
1 tbsp Szechuan pepper
8 green cardamom pods, bruised
50g tamarind paste
50ml soy sauce
750g celeriac, peeled
1 tbsp coriander seeds
200ml rice vinegar
150g caster sugar
Smoked salt, if desired
1. Dry ribs with paper towel, season flour with salt and pepper then rub over ribs to coat.
2. Heat 500ml oil in a large heavy based flameproof baking dish over medium heat. Cook ribs for 3-5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Heat a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Cook vegetables and 4 garlic cloves, until soft and transparent. Add 300ml wine, cook for 3-5 minutes
to reduce wine by half. Add ribs. Reduce the heat, cover the ribs with cold water until fully submerged, add peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme, cover. Simmer gently for about 2 hours or until tender. Remove the ribs, strain the stock and set it aside for the glaze.
4. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over low heat, add eschallots, remaining garlic and ginger, cook gently for about 8-10 minutes. Add Szechuan pepper, treacle, cardamom pods and tamarind paste, deglaze with the remaining 75ml wine, for 3-5 minutes or until wine has reduced. Add the reserved beef stock and soy sauce. Cook gently for 30-35 minutes or until it's a thick, dark consistency.
5. For pickled celeriac: Finely slice 150g celeriac on a mandolin. In a bowl, combine all other ingredients (except butter and smoked salt), stir until sugar dissolves. Add celeriac and pickle for at least 3 hours.
6. Chop remaining celeriac, cook in a large saucepan of simmering water for 25-30 minutes or until tender, drain. Transfer to a food processor, add butter and process until smooth. Season.
7. Pre-heat oven to 190°C, brush ribs with glaze, bake for 6-7 minutes or until warm and caramelised. Brush ribs again, season with smoked salt, if desired. Serve with celeriac puree, pickled celeriac, extra glaze and sautéed mixed mushrooms.
Wine Match: Voyager Estate Girt by Sea Cabernet Merlot 2014