4 live scallops
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1/2 bunch of flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped
25g (1/4 cup) dried breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
Wedge of lemon
1. Preheat the oven to very hot (250°C).
2. Use a small sharp knife to prise open the scallop. Cut along the surface of the flat shell – this will release the scallop.
3. Remove the flat shell. Cut the body of the scallop to separate it from the shell. Remove the mantle, gills and intestines – you want just the muscle and coral to remain. Also remove the side muscle, which sits on the opposite side of the scallop to the coral.
4. Combine all the other ingredients except the lemon – be generous with olive oil, the mixture should be quite wet.
5. Cover each scallop with some of this mixture, place on a baking tray and bake for 2 minutes.
6. Squeeze a little lemon over before serving.
Wine match: Riesling
Images and recipes from Earth, Fire, Water: Food Safari by Maeve O’Meara, Hardie Grant, $60.