50 g butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch spring onion, whites chopped, green tops thinly sliced to garnish
1 kg live pot-ready mussels
400 g can chopped plum tomatoes
375 ml can of beer of your choice (two big gulps worth)
3 long red chillies, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped coriander, to garnish
1. Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium high heat . Add the butter, and when it begins to foam add the garlic and chopped spring onion and cook over a high heat, stirring to prevent burning for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the mussels and stir well.
3. Add the tomatoes, a good slug of beer and the chillies. Stir, then cover, and keeping the heat high give the saucepan a shake to move and open the mussels as they cook.
4. When the majority of mussels have opened, spoon them out into a large bowl to serve.
5. Bring the sauce to the boil and season with pepper and perhaps a little salt. Pour the sauce over the mussels and garnish with the spring onion tops and coriander.