2 people as part of a shared meal
The chicken would be excellent with a fruit-forward Rosé. Choose one with subtly sweet fruit flavours and juicy acidity rather than a super-austere style for a perfect pairing.
1 chicken breast, cut into 3cm pieces
1 chicken thigh fillet, cut into 3cm pieces
A pinch each of salt, sugar, white pepper
Oil for frying
50g cashew nuts
50g pine nuts
1 tbsp honey
1½ tbsp potato starch
1½ tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Garlic Chilli Sauce
100g Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce
Black sesame seeds, to garnish
1 lemongrass stem, white part only, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 eschallots, chopped
20g ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp chicken powder
- Blend all marinade ingredients except chicken in a blender. Place in a bowl with chicken and mix well. Marinate in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry all nuts separately. Drain. Toss walnuts in honey. Cool and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade. Combine potato starch and plain flour in a bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Heat oil to 180°C. Deep fry chicken pieces for 5-8 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add Lee Kum Kee Garlic Chilli Sauce and Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce and water. Bring to the boil, stirring until it thickens. Add chicken, toss to coat in sauce.
- Place half the chopped nuts on serving plate, add chicken, top with remaining nuts.
- Garnish with black sesame seeds.