600g whole squid, cleaned
Peanut oil for deep-frying
100ml extra virgin olive oil
3 long red chillies, finely chopped
2 limes, juice only
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp salt flakes
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp chilli powder
180g tempura flour
3 tsp fine salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. To make the chilli oil, simply mix the oil with the chillies in a bowl and allow to infuse for 4–6 hours.
2. For lime sauce: combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate until required.
3. To make chilli-salt, mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Prepare the squid by removing the tentacles and cutting them in half crossways. Cut open the squid tubes, score the insides in a cross-hatch pattern, then cut into diamond-shaped pieces.
5. Toss the squid through the chilli-salt, then deep-fry in peanut oil heated to 200°C in a deep-fryer or heavy-based saucepan for 2 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
6. To serve, arrange the squid on a plate, finish with a drizzle of chilli oil and/or with lime sauce and serve immediately.