with star anise, pickled celery, slaw & Kaffir Lime
Part of South Australia's Limestone Coast, Coonawarra's famous terra rossa soils may be celebrated for producing top quality Cabernets, but they've proven equally suited to turning out some of the country's finest alternative varieties. With this intriguing beef dish, chef Paul Stone of boutique eatery Drink Ottelia + Eat Fodder, has created a sensationally savoury companion to the mouth-watering stylings of an Ottelia Sangiovese.
4 beef short ribs
400ml can coconut cream
2 lemongrass stalks, white part only, bruised
6 kaffir lime leaves
4 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 tablespoons palm sugar
2 limes, juiced
1 bunch celery, cut into chunks
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups rice wine vinegar
½ cup caster sugar
1 dried chilli
2 star anise
1 cup water
1 kohlrabi, peeled and finely sliced or julienned
3 green onions (shallots), finely sliced
1-2 green chillies, deseeded, finely sliced
¼ wombok, shredded
1 small bunch coriander, leaves picked
½ bunch Thai basil, leaves picked
6 kaffir lime leaves, very finely sliced
1. Pickled celery: Place celery in a bowl, add salt, set aside for at least 20 minutes (or overnight). Place celery in a clean sterilised jar or container.
2. Place vinegar, sugar, spices and water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and immediately pour over salted celery. Seal whilst hot. Set aside to cool.
3. For ribs: Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Season ribs with salt. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add short ribs, meat side down for 6-8 minutes or until deep golden brown.
4. Place coconut cream, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, sauces, sugar and lime juice in a roasting dish. Taste and season.
5. Place ribs in roasting pan, turn to coat, ending up with ribs bone side up. Cover tightly with baking paper and foil. Place in the oven and cook for 3½-4 hours or until tender. Taste, balance with more lime juice or fish sauce if needed. Remove ribs from sauce. Strain sauce.
6. For slaw: Place all of the ingredients into a bowl, add a pinch or two of salt and dress with the pickled celery liquid. Check seasoning.
7. Serve ribs with sauce, slaw, pickled celery and steamed rice.
Note: Pickled celery can be done in advance, and is great in salads.
Ottelia Sangiovese 2017