350g ocean trout, pin boned and filleted
100ml grapeseed oil
80ml olive oil
½ tablespoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon white pepper
10 whole basil leaves
3 stalks of thyme
¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 small carrots, finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped chives
4 tablespoons konbu, finely chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons ocean trout caviar
Leaves from ¼ bunch Italian parsley
100ml olive oil
½ tablespoon salted capers, rinsed
Apple & Celery Salad
¼ granny smith apple, julienned
¼ celery stalk, julienned
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
½ teaspoon olive oil
1. Skin the ocean trout and cut crosswise into 70-80g pieces – they should weigh no more than 100g. In a little tray, immerse the ocean trout in grapeseed oil and olive oil with the coriander, pepper, basil, thyme and garlic. Cover and allow to marinate for a few hours in the fridge. If you do not want to use too much oil, paint the surface of the fish with oil and press on the herbs.
2. To cook the fish, first preheat the oven to the absolutely lowest setting possible.
3. Take the fish out of the oil and allow to come to room temperature. Chop the celery and carrots and place on the base of a baking tray. Put the ocean trout on top and place in the oven. Cook with the door open so that the fish cooks gently. Paint the surface every few minutes with the marinade.
4. Depending on the size and thickness of the fish, cooking takes 7–8 minutes (no more than 10 minutes). When you touch the end part, your finger should just go through the flesh. The flesh should not have changed colour at all, but remain a brilliant orangey-red, and feel lukewam to the touch.
5. To make the parsley oil, purée the parsley with the olive oil in a blender. Add the capers and blend.
6. To make the apple and celery salad, toss with lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil.
7. Remove the fish from the oven and allow to cool down immediately.
8. Lift out of the tray and allow to come to room temperature.
9. Sprinkle the top of the fish with finely chopped chives, konbu and a little sea salt.
10. To serve, place some apple and celery salad on the base of the plate. Put the ocean trout on top and drizzle a little parsley oil all around. Garnish with ocean trout caviar.
Wine match: Josef Chromy Zdar Pinot Noir 2012 & De Bortoli Villages Pinot Noir 2017.
Note: If you can’t source ocean trout, fresh Atlantic salmon can be substituted.