1 hour 45 minutes
600g fish fillets (Barramundi, fresh water fish or snapper)
500g floury potatoes, washed, skin on and cut into wedges (Pontiacs or regular potatoes)
1 cup good mayonnaise (handmade, S&W or similar) mixed with 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp minced garlic, ½ tsp sugar
Salt and white pepper to taste 1 pinch sugar
1 tbsp rice flour
2 Limes, halved
Peanut/vegetable oil for deep frying
1/2 cucumber, finely diced
For the Batter
2/3 cup sifted plain flour
2 tbsp rice flour
1 egg white
11/3 cups iced water
- Cut the fish into 8 even pieces, pat dry and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Drop the potato wedges into boiling water for 3 minutes – strain, cool and dry. Refrigerate.
- Blend the batter ingredients together when you are ready to cook the fish – rest for no longer than 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil to 180°C and deep fry the potatoes – you may have to do them in batches; drain and keep warm.
- Dust the pieces of fish in the extra rice flour – dip into the batter (use tongs) and lower into the oil at 180°C. Lift and drain on kitchen paper towelling.
- Put the wedges into the centre of individual plates, top with two pieces of fish and spoon over some mayo – serve with lime cheeks.