4 x 125g kangaroo fillets
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
3 bunches baby beets, washed
120ml extra virgin olive oil
4 large king brown mushrooms, trimmed, cut in half lengthways
½ medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small carrot, diced
¼ cup diced celery
1 tbsp tomato paste
100ml Shaw’s Merlot
250ml beef stock
Micro herbs, to garnish
1. Pre heat oven to 175°C.
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook potatoes for 3 minutes. Drain,
place on a baking tray lined with paper towel. Leave to cool.
3. Lightly toss baby beets with 20ml olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until soft and tender, carefully peel beets.
4. Heat 20ml oil and butter in a frying pan over medium high heat, add mushrooms, flat side down, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes, turning frequently. Remove. Return frying pan to high heat with 60ml oil. Add potatoes, cook, turning frequently for 7–10 minutes. Keep warm in oven.
5. Heat 20ml oil in a frying pan over high heat, season kangaroo and cook for 2–3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil. Transfer to oven, cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to rest for
5 minutes, before slicing.
6. Re-heat pan to medium, gently fry onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 5 minutes or until soft and slightly caramelised. Add tomato paste, cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Increase heat to high, add Merlot, reduce by half, add beef stock, cook until mixture reduces slightly. Strain.
7. Serve kangaroo with potatoes, mushrooms, sauce and micro herbs.
Wine Match: Shaw Vineyard Estate Merlot 2016