Lyndey Milan’s Warm asparagus & artichoke salad
A fresh, zingy white such as the featured Sauvignon Blanc from False Cape will accompany the herb and vegetable freshness of the asparagus salad. Sauv Blanc and asparagus make the perfect pairing, enhancing each other and ensuring all elements are in balance.
- 4 globe artichokes, trimmed
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 tbsp (40ml )extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 star anise
- 4 thyme sprigs
- ¼ cup (60ml) tarragon vinegar
- 24 asparagus spears, ends snapped off
- 80g baby spinach and rocket leaves
- 100g (1 cup) walnuts, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
or walnut oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions (shallots), finely sliced
- small bunch chives, finely snipped
- 1 ½ tbsp (30 ml) white balsamic
- Snap off the tough outer leaves of an artichoke until you begin to expose the lighter yellow ones. Cut top third off. Use a paring knife to trim the stem, top and sides to reveal the heart. Use a teaspoon to remove the fibrous ‘choke’ in the centre. Discard. Rub all cut surfaces with lemon juice as you go. Drop prepared artichokes in a bowl of water with juice of half a lemon added to prevent browning and prepare others.
- Place artichokes in a large pan. Add lemon water to almost cover the artichokes in a single layer. Add 30mls olive oil, spices, thyme, vinegar and salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins or until soft. Remove from heat and cool. Just prior to serving, drain artichokes and cut each into 6 wedges.
- Steam or boil asparagus in salted boiling water for 2 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and refresh immediately in iced
water until cool. Drain and slice in thirds
on the angle.
- For the dressing, heat half the olive oil over medium heat in a frying pan, gently cook onion for 5 mins until soft. Combine in a bowl or jug with remaining ingredients. Season to taste.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil. Fry the asparagus with salt and pepper until just beginning to colour. Remove and repeat with artichokes.
- Divide salad leaves between four entrée plates. Place asparagus and artichokes around, sprinkle over nuts and dressing.