500g butternut pumpkin, chopped
2 tbsp (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cups (375ml) chicken stock
1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups (400g) arborio rice
½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
½ cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese
½ cup (100g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds without the husk , roasted + extra
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100g baby English spinach leaves
1. Preheat the oven to hot (220ºC). Place pumpkin in baking dish and drizzle with half the oil. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Heat the stock and 5 cups (1.25 litres) water in a large saucepan or microwave to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan; cook the onion and garlic, stirring, until onion is soft. Add rice; stir to coat in oil mixture. Add the wine, stir until evaporated.
4. Stir in 1 cup (250ml) of the hot stock mixture; cook, stirring, over low heat until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring, until liquid is absorbed after each addition. Total cooking time should be about 25 minutes or until rice is just tender.
5. Add cheese, pepitas, butter, salt and pepper to taste, then gently stir in spinach and pumpkin so spinach is only just wilted and still vibrant green.
6. Divide amongst four bowls and serve immediately topped with extra pepitas and extra parmesan cheese flakes.
Lyndey’s note: Pepitas can be found in the supermarket, or substitute with pine nuts.