Marco Pierre White's Lemon Tart Recipe
Recipe re-photographed from White Heat with permission from Marco Pierre White. Australian ingredients substituted where neccessary.
- 500g plain flour
- 175g icing sugar
- 250g butter, diced
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grains from 1 vanilla pod
- 1½ eggs
- 50g sieved icing sugar, to dust
- Flour, for dusting
- Butter, for greasing
For the lemon filling
- 9 eggs
- 400g caster sugar
- 5 lemons (zest of 2 and juice of all 5)
- 250ml double cream
To make the flan case
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Sieve the flour and icing sugar and work in the butter.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add the lemon zest and vanilla grains.
- Beat the eggs and add to the well. Knead the mixture with the fingers, then wrap in clingfilm and leave to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a size just large enough to fill the flan tin or ring to be used.
- Using either a greased flan ring on a greased baking sheet, or a greased flan tin with a removable base, fold the dough into it. Gently ease the dough into the corners of the tin, ensuring a good 1cm overhang. Do not cut this off.
- Line the flan with greaseproof paper and fill with enough dry baking beans or lentils to ensure that the sides as well as the base are weighted. This helps give a good finished flan shape.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the beans and greaseproof paper and trim the overhang from the flan. Return the flan to the ovenfor a further 10 minutes.
To make the lemon filling
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and the lemon zest.
- Stir in the lemon juice and then fold in the cream. Remove any froth from the topof the mixture.
To make the flan
- Reduce the oven temperature to 120ºC.
- Pour the cold filling into the hot pastry (this ensures that the pastry case will be sealed and hold the filling) and bake for 30 minutes in the oven.
- Pre-heat a very hot grill.
- Sieve the icing sugar over the tart as soon as it comes out of the oven and then flash it briefly under the grill to caramelize the sugar.
- Cut into 8 slices.