1-2 hours marinating
1 x 1.2 kg free range chicken
1 head of garlic
1 knob (50g) fresh ginger
2 tsp flaked sea salt
50 ml sesame oil
1 tsp Szechuan pepper
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp Korean chilli flakes (gochugaru)
1. Preheat a heavy casserole dish to 190ºC
in a fan forced oven.
2. Remove the backbone of the chicken using a pair of kitchen scissors.
3. Remove both legs.
4. Trim away the rib section.
5. Remove the wings by cutting through the shoulder joint.
6. Separate the breasts by cutting down the centre of the breast.
7. Coarsely grate the head of garlic (no need to remove the skin) and ginger using a box grater into a large dish.
8. Add the salt, sesame oil, Szechuan, black pepper and chilli flakes.
9. Add the chicken and coat evenly.
10. Marinade for 1-2 hours, if time permits.
11. Place the preheated pan on the hop on a moderate heat.
12. Add the chicken, skin side up, spacing it out evenly so that the pieces don’t touch.
13. Put back into the oven and roast for 45-50 minutes until the skin is golden.
14. Serve with oven baked sebago chips.
Wine match: Grenache
Photography: Rob Palmer, Styling: Emma Knowles, Food Prep: Sarah-Jane Hallett