6 kangaroo fillets
50ml olive oil to coat
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 red cabbage, shredded
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 teaspoons bush tomato, ground
1 pinch saltbush
1 pinch pepper leaves
1 pinch pink lake salt
Kangaroo spice mix
1 teaspoon native mountain pepper leaf, ground*
1/2 teaspoon pepper berries, ground
1 1/2 teaspoon bush tomato, ground
2 teaspoon dried sea parsley
1 teaspoon dried saltbush
1 teaspoon ground lemon myrtle
1 teaspoon roasted wattle seed, ground
1/2 teaspoon lemon aspen powder
1. For the kangaroo fillet, preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Trim fillets and coat with olive oil, set aside to rest.
3. In a hot pan, sear fillets all around for 60 seconds. Coat fillets with prepared spice mix.
4. Transfer fillets onto a rack. Place rack over baking tray with 1cm of water under rack. Cook fillets in oven for 8 minutes.
5. Loosely cover with foil. Rest for 10 minutes.
6. In a large saucepan, stir fry cabbage in a little water to release water. Drain in colander and squeeze out excess water.
7. Heat olive oil and butter in a sauté pan.
8. Add onion and cook until translucent.
9. Add prepared cabbage and spices, toss and heat through.
Wine match: Tempranillo, Barbera or GSM
Styling: Michaela Le Compte, Food prep: Danny Taplin