no cooking required
with quandong and Davidson plum harissa
Neil Perry shares his Raw Tuna Belly recipe with Selector Magazine, presented beautifully with quandong and Davidson plum harissa. This dish is best paired with a glass of Riesling, Grüner Veltliner or crisp Rosé. Enjoy!
300g tuna belly
4 tablespoons of quandong harissa
1 orange, peeled and filleted and roughly chopped (with a sharp knife)
12 coriander sprigs
1 spring onion, cut in rounds, with some green as well as white parts
Freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, quartered
Extra virgin olive oil
Quandong harissa (makes about 500ml)
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 dried quandongs, soaked
6 red capsicums, cut into strips
2 teaspoons sea salt
500ml extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, sliced
70g palm sugar, grated
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons of freeze-dried Davidson plum powder
1 tablespoon ground medium-strong chilli
1 lemon, juiced
Recipe by Neil Perry
Photography by John Paul Urizar
Styling by Michaela Le Compte
Food Prep by Sarah-Jane Hallet
1. On a chopping board, slice the tuna 1cm thick.
2. On each plate, run a line of harissa, about 8cm wide, down the middle. Lay the tuna slices, overlapping slightly, over the harissa.
3. Gently place orange dice and coriander onto the slices of fish. Sprinkle with spring onion rounds, give a good sprinkle of salt and grind of pepper.
4. To finish, squeeze a little lemon on the fish and give a good drizzle of the olive oil and serve.
1. Slow-roast the fennel, cumin and coriander at 150°C for 10 minutes. Allow to cool, then grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder.
2. Put the quandongs, capsicum, sea salt and oil in a large frying pan. Cook over low heat for 1½–2 hours, then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the palm sugar, fish sauce, Davidson plum, chilli and ground spices. Simmer for 5 minutes, then blitz in a food processor until smooth. Add the lemon juice. Spoon into a sterilized jar and cover with a layer of oil.
Riesling, Grüner Veltliner or crisp Rosé