Pork rillettes (start 2 days prior)
500g boneless pork shoulder, untrimmed, diced, 3cm cubes
1 teaspoon each fennel, cumin and coriander seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
25g sea salt flakes
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2cm pieced fresh ginger, grated
500g rendered duck fat
Fennel fronds to garnish
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
200ml grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon capers
1 bunch Dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled
1 punnet small snow peas, trimmed
1 bunch baby radishes, trimmed
1. Pound seeds, and pepper in a mortar and pestle. Add sea salt flakes, cinnamon, garlic and ginger. Mix thoroughly with diced pork. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 24-48 hours.
2. Pre-heat oven to 140°C. Remove pork from the fridge. Transfer pork to a tray lined with paper towel to drain, pat dry. Place in a single layer in a cast iron casserole dish. Heat duck fat in a small saucepan over a medium heat (to around 80°C). Pour over duck fat to completely cover pork. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Remove cover to temper the heat. Reduce heat to 120°C. Re-cover and cook for another hour. Remove, allow to cool slightly.
3. Strain fat from pork into a heatproof jug. Transfer pork to a bowl. Using gloves, flake meat, adjust seasoning. Pack flaked meat into dariole moulds up to ¾ full, flatten the top with a spoon. Pour strained duck fat over to cover and fill the rest of the dariole mould. Allow to set for 20 mins in the fridge.
4. Parsley oil: Blanch parsley for 15 seconds in boiling salted water, drain, plunge into ice water. Drain and dry.
5. Place parsley, capers and grapeseed oil into a blender, blend on high speed. Strain, over a bowl, through damp muslin, for 30 minutes. Gently squeeze excess oil into bowl. Discard the pulp. Oil will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
6. Vegetables: Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add carrots for 30 seconds, then snow peas, for a further 20 seconds. Remove, refresh in ice water. Soak the radishes in iced water for 10 mins to become crisp. Remove vegetables and drain on paper towel.
7. To serve: Place in the centre of a dish, arrange vegetables around the rillettes. Dress the vegetables with the parsley oil, garnish with fennel fronds.
Wine Match: Margan Cabernet Sauvignon 2019