On this episode of My Market Kitchen, Matt Sinclair bakes a comforting Potato Gratin dish with flavours of the Geographe region.
For the perfect wine match, Wine Selectors Adam Walls suggests the Aylesbury Estate QO5 Gamay 2020 and Willow Bridge Estate Dragonfly Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2020.
You can tune in at 3:30PM weekdays on Channel 10 - start cooking!
40gm plain flour
100gm tasty cheese
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
½ bulb celeriac, peeled, shaved as thinly as possible
3 large waxy red potatoes, thinly sliced
2 medium brown onions, sliced
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Melt the butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, stirring constantly. Mix the flour into the melted butter with a whisk until it turns into a foamy paste, approximately 2 minutes, but be sure not to brown it.
3. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously and stir until the sauce thickens. Bring it to a light simmer, lower the heat before adding the cheese. Stir though until melted and season to taste with sea salt and cracked pepper. Remove from the heat.
4. Grease a deep baking dish and place a layer of celeriac over the base, followed by a layer of scattered onions and then a layer of potato. Spread over some of the bechamel sauce and spread evenly over the potato. Repeat this layering process until all the ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of bechamel.
5. Combine the panko crumbs and parsley together and sprinkle evenly over the top of the potato followed by a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Increase the heat for the final 5-10 minutes if you would like more golden colour on the top.
6. Serve alongside any grilled or roasted meat dish or leafy salad.