3 - 4 minutes
Serves four as a starter or part of a mezze
The perfect dish with Pinot G if ever there was one! The 2016 T’Gallant Pinot Grigio ideal as it’s delicate and restrained yet juicy and layered with lovely mouth-watering texture and crisp acidity, making it an ideal all-rounder with antipasto-style dishes like this one.
- 2 aubergines (eggplants)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 175g feta cheese
- 175g ricotta cheese
- Small handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 5–6 rasps freshly grated nutmeg
- 10 turns black peppermill
- 1½ tbsp capers, chopped
- 100g mixed rocket, watercress and
- baby spinach
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise into slices about 5mm thick. You should get about 6 slices from each aubergine. Brush the slices on both sides with oil and grill them in batches on a barbecue or griddle pan for 3–4 minutes on each side until browned, tender and pliable. Set them aside.
- Mash the feta and ricotta in a bowl with a fork and add the parsley, nutmeg and black pepper. Stir in the capers. Spoon a generous tablespoon of filling on to the wide end of each aubergine slice and roll it up like a Swiss roll.
- To serve, arrange the salad leaves on a platter, dress them with lemon juice and olive oil, then season. Arrange the aubergine rolls on top, seam-side down, and decorate them with pomegranate seeds. Serve at room temperature as a starter or part of a mezze.