Scott Picketts Fricassée of chicken pairs nicely with a chardonnay that packs a refined flavour punch, showing why it works so nicely with poultry.
Preheat oven to 190ºC
1.2kg whole chicken, disjointed and cut into braising portions
300g finely diced vegetables – carrot, leek, celery
20g garlic, peeled and chopped
100g silver skin small pickling onions, reserve some liquid from the jar
100g cooked baby kipfler/chat potatoes
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
300ml chicken stock
300ml white wine
2 thyme sprigs
1 garlic head, split into two
300g shallots, peeled and finely sliced
Few drops of lemon juice
Recipe by Scott Pickett
Photography by Alex Squadrito and Adrian Zanardo
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper and roast on a suitable sized baking tray until cooked through – approx.30 minutes.
2. Combine wine, thyme, garlic and shallots in a pot, cook and reduce to a light syrup.
3. Add chicken stock and repeat the process.
4. Add cream and repeat/reduce to a light cream consistency.
5. Add finely diced vegetables, pickled onions, potatoes and parsley.
6. Add reserved chicken and reheat over a medium heat, if necessary, check seasoning for salt and pepper and lemon juice.