Sicilian Veal Meatballs
with grilled in Lemon leaves
On this episode of My Market Kitchen we're cooking Sicilian Veal Meatballs in the Barossa Valley!
Chef Tobie Puttock whips these meatballs up on the BBQ for a quick and easy (but delicious) dish. For the perfect wine match, Wine Selectors Adam Walls suggests the Massena The Moonlight Run Mataro Grenache Shiraz 2017.
You can tune in at 3:30PM weekdays on Channel 10 - start cooking!
50g fresh homemade breadcrumbs
Good handful of freshly grated pecorino
Zest of one lemon
2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
Small handful of freshly picked marjoram
2 cloves of garlic
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
40 small or 20 large lemon leaves
1. Pop the breadcrumbs and the milk into a mixing bowl and allow to sit for a few moments.
2. While the breadcrumbs are soaking toast the fennel seeds in a dry pan for a minute or so or until you can smell the aromas. Remove right away and grind in a mortar and pestle, add the marjoram and the garlic along with a pinch of salt and grind to a paste.
3. Add the marjoram and garlic mixture to the bowl with the bread and now add the pork, veal, pecorino and the lemon zest and use your hands to mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Shape the mixture into patties the size of golf balls, flattening them slightly. Place a lemon leaf on each side of each pattie or if you are using larger leaves you can wrap one around both side of a pattie, you may need a toothpick to secure it.
5. Cook the meatballs over a pre-heated BBQ for a couple of minutes on each side and serve.