2–3 large onions, peeled, halved and sliced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
400g can chickpeas, drained
½ radicchio head, sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
1 red capsicum, roasted, peeled and sliced or 4 roasted piquillo peppers from jar or can, sliced
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves, stalks removed
Freshly ground black pepper
Large handful mung bean sprouts
2 handfuls rocket leaves, stalks removed
Fried shallots, to scatter
1. For the caramelised onion: Mix sliced onion and olive oil in microwave-safe dish with well-fitting lid and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove dish and lid and stir onion well. Repeat 3 times until onion has collapsed and is soft and golden.
2. Tip onion and oil into a heavy-based frying pan and cook on medium heat, stirring every few minutes. Continue until the onion is a rich, golden brown. Let cool and set aside.
3. For the salad: Warm drained chickpeas in a clean frying pan over low heat and stir in the caramelised onion until well combined.
4. In a separate pan, sauté the sliced radicchio in a little olive oil until softened, then add to chickpea pan with the capsicum strips (or piquillo peppers). Pile spinach into pan and cover with lid for 2 minutes until wilted.
5. Tip everything into a deep bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in mung bean sprouts and add rocket and fried shallots to turn into salad before serving.