12 mint leaves
60–80g Parmesan or ricotta salata
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp small capers
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp vincotto
2 tsp lemon-infused extra virgin olive oil
1 handful young rocket leaves, stalks removed
Recipe by: Stephanie Alexander
Photography by: Kristoffer Paulsen
Styling by: Julie Haines
Food prep: Emma Rosen
1. Slice zucchini lengthways into 5mm strips and set on tray for a few minutes. Bundle mint leaves and slice through very finely. Set aside.
2. Take preferred cheese and shave plenty of fine slices with a vegetable peeler. Set aside.
3. Line a plate with paper towel. Tip a teaspoon or so of olive oil into a large, well-seasoned frying pan. Sauté capers over medium heat for a few minutes until they open up like little flowers, then scoop out onto paper-lined plate and set aside.
4. Add a very small amount of olive oil to the same pan over medium heat. Add some zucchini slices side by side, but don’t crowd the pan – cook in batches for less than a minute. Quickly turn and cook flipside for 30 seconds then remove, placing slices close together on serving platter. Repeat until all zucchini has been lightly fried, adding a little olive oil only as needed.
5. Dress zucchini with fried capers and a scattering of mint, then season with salt, pepper, a few drops of vincotto, and a few drops of lemon-infused olive oil. Serve immediately with cheese shavings and rocket.