Sweet and Sour Pork with Strawberries
750gm pork belly
100ml soy sauce
500ml sunflower or vegetable oil
½ cup diced cucumber pickled
½ cup diced pineapple pickled
½ cup strawberries cut in half or quarters
¼ cup coriander picked leaves
½ cup of rice wine vinegar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cloves of garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
150ml pineapple juice
150ml rice wine vinegar
100gm tomato ketchup
150gm rock sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons corn flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup plain flower
1/3 cup potato starch or tapioca flour
1/3 cup corn flour
ice cold sparkling water
1. Marinate the pork belly in the soy sauce for a minimum of two hour turning several times or over night. Then place in a steamer and steam for 1 hour until tender. Then remove from the steamer and allow it to cool. This can be done the day before. Slice into 1-2cm thick slices 2/3 per portion.
2. Place all the salad ingredients in a small pot and bring to the boil. Let stand to cool then pour over the cut pineapple and cucumber and marinate for 1 hour then drain.
3. To make the sauce place all the ingredients except the corn flour and water in a pot and bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar. Taste the sauce to see if you need more sugar if you like it sweeter. Mix the enough water with the corn flour to make a slurry and whisk it into the boiling sauce a little at a time until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. And set aside.
4. Make the batter just before you cook the pork. The colder it is the better. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then whisk in the vodka and enough cold sparkling water to make a batter the consistency of pouring cream.
5. To cook the pork, heat your vegetable oil in a wok until it is hot. Check this by dropping a little batter into the oil and if it spatters and sizzles, it is hot enough. Dredge your pork slices in the batter to coat and carefully place into the hot oil. Cook until golden and crisp.
6. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place onto absorbent paper towel and cook the remaining pork slices. Arrange your pickled pineapple and cucumber on a platter along with some of you cut strawberries. Place the pork slices on top, and finally add the remaining strawberries and pickled cucumber.
7. Drizzle liberally with the hot sauce and garnish with coriander leaves.
Jones Road Pinot Noir 2016, Quealy Pinot Grigio 2018