Tetsuya Wakuda’s Sushi at home recipe
Riesling is always lovely with the delicate, savoury nature of sushi and sashimi. We love the 2016 from Pewsey Vale in South Australia’s Eden Valley, which allures with beautiful white floral notes over classic lime and green apple fruit. The wine is energetic, pure and long with a beautifully fine core of fruit and racy acidity.
- 2½ cups sushi rice
- 3¾ cups cold water
- ½ cup sushi vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp preserved lemon rind, finely chopped
- 8 slices sashimi grade salmon
- 1 cup finely chopped baby rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp wasabi paste
- 8 slices sashimi grade tuna loin
- 8 slices sashimi grade tuna belly
- 8 cooked prawns, peeled, deveined
- 6 nori sheets, toasted
- Bamboo leaves, sashimi soy sauce, salmon roe, julienne green onions and micro herbs, to serve
- Place rice in a sieve. Rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. Place the rice and water in a large saucepan, covered, over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Transfer rice to a large glass bowl. Use a wooden paddle to break up rice lumps while gradually adding the vinegar mixture, gently folding to combine. Continue folding and fanning the rice for 15 minutes or until rice is cool. Fold through preserved lemon. Shape rice in a Japanese Nigiri Sushi Mold (rice ball) or by hand.
- Heat a small rack over a gas flame on medium-high heat. Place salmon on rack for 1 minute, turn, cook for 1 minute. Alternatively place salmon on a lined tray under a pre-heated grill for 1-2 minutes. Remove set aside.
- Place rocket and wasabi in a bowl, combine well.
- Toast nori sheets as per packet instructions.
- Place bamboo leaves on a serving platter. Arrange sushi, nori sheets, salmon, tuna and prawns on platter. Place soy sauce, salmon roe and wasabi rocket in small bowls on platter. Guests can serve themselves – lay out a sheet of toasted nori, place a rice ball in the middle of the sheet. Top with sashimi or prawns, and add dab of rocket wasabi (to taste). Fold in sides of nori, roll tightly from one end to the other.
Wine match: Pewsey Vale Riesling 2016.