Stick with delicate wine styles with the raw fish and choose those that have elevated acidity, like Sparkling wines or dry whites like Riesling or Grüner Veltliner.
120g sashimi fish, sliced
40g banana blossom, julienne
20g red onion, pickled
20g pineapple slices
30g green mango, julienne
30g papaya, julienne
30g broadbeans/rau mong
5–6 vine leaves/shiso leaves
5–6 elephant ear stem, sliced
10g crispy onion
20g snake beans, batons
2 rice and sesame crackers
Tamarind & dessert lime dipping sauce
50g palm sugar, shaved
50g tamarind pulp
50g fish sauce
2 birds eye chillies
1 garlic clove
10g dessert limes
Recipe by Thi Le
Photography by Kristoffer Paulsen
1. Dissolve palm sugar in a small pot with tamarind pulp – slowly bring to a simmer, then add fish sauce. Bring mix to a boil to emulsify.
2. Remove from heat, skim any scum and let cool down.
3. Using a mortar and pestle, pound chilli, garlic and galangal till smooth.
4. Add dessert limes to the mortar and roughly pound.
5. Add tamarind and adjust with lime juice.
6. Place raw fish in the middle of the plate and arrange fruit and vegetables around
7. Served with tamarind and rice crackers.
Sparkling, Riesling or Grüner Veltliner