Road To Recovery!
The unprecedented bushfire crisis across Australia has rocked and shocked us all. While we’re a resilient bunch, together we must assist affected wineries, winemakers and producers to ensure they can recover!
When tragedies like the devastating bushfires strike it’s often difficult to know how you, as an individual, can help. In true Aussie spirit, people across the country are rallying behind the affected regions including the Adelaide Hills and Kangaroo Island giving assistance that is so desperately needed.
Amidst the devastation, Adelaide Hills Wine Region executive officer Kerry Treuel says “there are some areas where vines are still intact with no fire damage, and we are hopeful that these will be harvestable, but the flow on effect of a disaster like this will be felt by many and for years to come.”
Adelaide Hills and Kangaroo Island are not the only wine regions to be scorched by these unimaginable bushfires. East Gippsland and Tumbarumba have felt their force with the Hunter Valley, Canberra, Southern Highland, King Valley and Rutherglen and more, dealing with the effects of smoke taint. All of this on top of the fact, that as primary producers and farmers, they are struggling to survive the continuing drought.
STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS
Through all of this hardship, the good news is, most cellar doors and wineries are still open for business and are waiting for your visit.
As Tony Battaglene, Australian Grape and Wine Chief Executive explains, visiting the affected regions and continuing to buy the producers’ wines is crucial for their recovery.
“We need donations to the relief funds and support for our emergency services, but we also really need consumers to keep buying wine and to visit the regions to get the cashflow back into the communities.”
WINE SELECTORS IS LENDING A HELPING HAND
We’re all in this for the long haul, and these regional areas will come back stronger than ever, but the more we help, the faster the process will be!
At Wine Selectors, we’re doing everything we can to assist our wine producing friends, including:
1. Donating to the Adelaide Hills Wine Region Fire Appeal. If you want to donate directly go to https://www.gofundme.com/f/adelaide-hills-wine-region-fire-appeal.
2. Donating 100% of the profits from our Adelaide Hills Bushfire Appeal Red, White and Mixed Dozens to those who have been affected.
3. Continuing our 45-year tradition of buying and selling only 100% Australian grown and produced wines, and giving you access to family-owned and operated wine businesses right across the country.
4. Shining the light on the Australian wine industry with stories, articles and features, spreading the word and work of our dedicated and world-class wine producing regions.
5. Soon to launch an exciting new initiative to encourage diners to choose Australian wines when eating out – stay tuned for all of the details.
PRACTICAL WAYS YOU CAN HELP
1. Support the affected wineries – purchase one of our Adelaide Hills Bushfire Appeal Red, White and Mixed Dozens (found via our Special Offers page) with 100% of the profits going towards those affected.
2. Use your Members Extras to visit the impacted regions, stay overnight, experience their cellar doors and their hospitality, to help their economies stay strong.
3. Drink Aussie wines when you’re out and about at cafes, restaurants and hotels.
4. Encourage others to drink regional Australian wines.
5. Purchase from affected towns to help them prosper again – take an #emptyesky and fill it with local wines, fresh produce and delicious goods. Or, if you can’t make it out there, purchase directly from their online stores.
6. Replace French Champagne with seriously great Aussie Sparkling!
While you keep these amazing wine families and communities in your heart, please remember to keep their wines in your glass and their fresh produce on your plate.