Best Adelaide Hills Wineries
The stunning Adelaide Hills region sits in the centre of South Australia’s famous wine growing regions, located only a short drive from the city of Adelaide.
A lot of people ask, 'What wines are Adelaide Hills known for?'. Famed for its premium cool climate wines, especially its distinct take on Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, the region is winning awards at a record rate.
So how many wineries and cellar doors are there in the Adelaide Hills? One of the largest geographic wine growing regions in Australia, there are over 90 wine labels and 48 cellar doors to choose from.
Which Adelaide Hills wineries are the best to visit? Where are the best places to eat? With so many options, you’re spoiled for choice and it can be difficult to know where to start. If you’re planning a getaway, you’ll probably also want to know where to stay in the Adelaide Hills and some fun activities to do while you’re there (in addition to your wine tasting adventures of course).
Shop Adelaide Hills Wines
Whether it’s a day trip and lunch or a weekend stay, our wineries, restaurant, accommodation and activities guide will help you get the most out of your next visit to this spectacular wine lovers and foodie haven. Let’s dive in!
Adelaide Hills Wineries Map
Planning a trip to the Adelaide Hills?
Download our interactive Adelaide Hills winery map. To save on your browser or device, click HERE.
Best Adelaide Hills wineries to visit
Mt Lofty Ranges Vineyard
The Mt Lofty Ranges 5-star Cellar Door and chef hatted restaurant are set at the one of the highest points in the Adelaide Hills. It’s not only the superb cool climate wines and fantastic food that attracts visitors from far and wide; the views sweeping down across the estate vineyards and taking in the stunning Mount Lofty Ranges, are spectacular too.
In warmer months, you can take it all in sitting out on one of several level deck tables, or in a corner private room, with large windows and bi-fold doors opening wide to breathe in the fresh mountain air. An open fireplace heats indoors through frosty Adelaide Hills winters, while three split-level decks offer a multitude of areas for soaking up a little sun.
An alluring menu shows off a delicious range of premium local produce, with tasting menus for vegetarians and vegans also available.
166 Harris Road, Lenswood
Open daily for lunch and tastings 11am to 5pm
Visit the Mt Lofty Ranges Cellar door
K1 by Geoff Hardy
Renowned for its stunning lakeside location, K1’s vineyard views are every bit as spectacular as the award-winning wine on offer. Sample delicious cool climate varieties, considered among the best single estate wines in Australia, while seated at Geoff’s wooden tasting bench, hand-crafted from 400-year-old red gum.
For an extra special tasting experience stay on to try a selection of the museum or reserve stock for a small fee that is redeemable on any purchase.
159 Tynan Rd, Kuitpo
Open daily 11am to 5pm
Visit the Wines by Geoff Hardy Cellar door
Shaw + Smith
Shaw + Smith specialise in growing and perfecting the classic varieties that the Adelaide Hills region is known for: Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Shiraz.
Grandiose in size and sleek in style, the modern tasting room operates like a restaurant, with table service and guided wine flight and cheese options starting at $20 per head. Lunch is available on Fridays only where groups are treated to a selection of wines matched with a delicious meal, and a ‘behind the scenes’ tour of the impressive vineyard.
136 Jones Road, Balhannah
Open daily 11am to 5pm
Visit the Shaw + Smith cellar door
The Lane Vineyard
The Lane vineyard personifies rural Australia yet is a mere stone’s throw from Adelaide. With panoramic views across the vineyard and the picturesque Adelaide Hills, you will quickly feel a world away from the city. Explore their collection of wines in the stylishly modern tasting room with a variety of seated wine flights or settle in for the signature Gathering Experience - a miniature degustation-style wine tasting that showcases the harmony between their single-vineyard wines and the restaurant menu. Tastings start at $20pp.
Elevated in the heart of the vineyard, the restaurant is perfect for a relaxing getaway or business lunch. The signature Provenance menu, designed by head chef Tom Robinson, features the best of South Australian produce paired with wines from the same single estate vineyard. You can also make the most of the stunning open spaces by grabbing a hamper and following The Lane walking map to find your private picnic table at one of 7 picturesque locations. Picnic hampers are $110 and wines and other beverages can be pre-purchased online when booking.
5 Ravenswood Lane, Hahndorf
Open daily 10am to 5pm, bookings are essential
Visit The Lane Vineyard website
The beauty of the gum trees, terraced lawns and rolling vines that surround the family-owned Howard Vineyard impresses visitors before they even sample the award-winning wines. Try cool climate Cabernet Franc, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Sparkling wines before settling in beside the roaring fire with your favourite glass. Active guests can take a walk around the manicured gardens or play a spot of croquet on the lawn.
The family friendly Clover + Stone restaurant is open from Wednesday – Sunday, with an exclusive hansang or janchi menu available on weekends. Executive Chef, Chang Koog Lee, a.k.a. Cookie, has perfectly complemented the dishes with Howard Vineyard’s best wines. Alternatively, chill out on the lawns and enjoy the casual dining menu with your favourite bottle of wine.
Lot 1, 53 Bald Hills Road, Nairne
Open daily 10am to 5pm
Visit the Howard Vineyard website
Husband and wife team Hamish and Kate Laurie are the owners of this divine boutique winery. The cellar door deck that overlooks the wine garden and home block vines is the perfect place to relax outdoors in the sunshine and sample their great range of wines.
Taste from their range of artisanal premium cool climate wines; from Sparkling and aromatic whites to basket pressed red wines. Winemaker Kate trained at Lycée Viticole d’Avize in Champagne, no doubt helping them to perfect their award-winning Sparkling wine! Book in for a tutored wine flight or master class or simply sit and enjoy your chosen wine with one of the delicious tasting plates on offer daily.
207 Scott Creek Road, Longwood
Open daily 10am to 5pm
Visit the Deviation Road cellar door
Located at the edge of the historic, German-heritage village of Hahndorf, this boutique winery specialises in Austrian varietals including Blaufrankisch, Grüner Veltliner, Zweigelt and St Laurent - all varieties that have an incredible affinity with a broad range of cuisines and food types. They also produce other cool climate classics for which the Adelaide Hills wine region is renowned including Pinot Grigio, dry Rosé and Shiraz.
Relax in the comfort of the award-winning cellar door and soak up the views of the vineyard while you enjoy a wine flight or glass of wine along with a cheese plate. Or, why not be a little more adventurous and try their chocolate and wine matching, or the unique ice cream and wine matching? There’s always something different and delicious for you to taste when you visit.
38 Pain Road, Hahndorf
Open Monday – Saturday, 10:30am – 5pm, bookings are essential
Visit the Hahndorf Hill cellar door
Pike & Joyce
Pike & Joyce represents the coming together of two long-established South Australian families to form a partnership in wine, built on their joint love for the Adelaide Hills and a passion for great food and wine. Planted on their 25-hectare joint venture vineyard are a range of classic cool climate wine varieties including Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Grüner Veltliner, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Shiraz, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo and Pinot Noir.
Visitors can sample wines in the modern, state-of-the art tasting room while taking in magnificent views over the vines and the spectacular Onkaparinga Valley. If you’re feeling peckish, small plates are available to enjoy with wines by the glass on the terrace or, if you’re after something a bit more substantial, book into the restaurant for lunch from Thursday to Sunday for a range of delicious options including a degustation menu.
730 Mawson Road, Lenswood
Open daily 11am to 4pm
Visit the Pike & Joyce cellar door
The largest certified sustainable winery in the Adelaide Hills, Sidewood is a family-owned winery who pride themselves on crafting superb cool climate wines using the best environmental practices. Sidewood’s cellar door, an upcycled Apple Shed, is a space housing their luxurious tasting room, lounge, wine bar and private dining space. Stop in for an interactive tasting with a member of the cellar door team, a self-guided wine flight, or a masterclass.
The restaurant features a delicious Australasian menu designed by Head Chef Ali Seedsman as well as a range of woodfired pizzas. Eat inside or venture out to the enormous, covered hardwood deck featuring in-built heaters for chilly winter days and misting fans to keep you cool in summer.
There are many experiences to enjoy when you visit Sidewood. From lawn bowls and pétanque to learning the art of Sabrage, luxury day beds for hire and a nature play family zone, you’re guaranteed to find plenty to do.
6 River Road, Hahndorf
Open daily 11am – 5pm
Visit the Sidewood website
THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS
Beerenberg strawberry farm
• Mt Lofty Botanical Gardens – sprawled across 97 hectares, the cool climate gardens are beautiful year-round. Wander the multitude of paths and reconnect with nature, discover gorgeous gardens and plants, take in the themed sculptures and signature artworks, or grab a coffee and a snack on weekends and public holidays from local chocolatier Bracegirdle’s bus.
• Mt Lofty summit – rising over 710m above sea level, the majestic peak of the Mount Lofty Ranges provides spectacular panoramic views across Adelaide’s city skyline to the coast. From the summit, take in the views, check out the Visitor Information Outlet and gift shop, dine at The Summit Restaurant and Café, or hike a number of local trails.
• Hahndorf Village – Australia’s oldest surviving German settlement, Hahndorf, is a delightful and worthy stop on any visit to the Adelaide Hills. Featuring original German-style architecture in a contemporary village atmosphere, it’s a mecca for food and wine lovers with a brewery, cheese cellar, cidery, winery, distiller, and the world-famous Beerenberg Farm all found in the small town.
• Beerenberg strawberry farm – 100% family-owned, six generations have lived and farmed on the Beerenberg family farm in Hahndorf. Drop in and experience the joys of picking your own strawberries, satisfy your appetite at the farm café, take part in cooking demonstrations, or simply stock up on your favourite jams, chutneys, relishes and more at the on-site farm shop.
• Laratinga wetlands – located in Mount Barker, the wetland’s environmental and recreational qualities attract many visitors. Wander the walking trails and boardwalks that wind around the wetlands, cycle, picnic, watch the local birdlife or simply relax while you take in the peaceful natural environment.
THE BEST PLACES TO EAT IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS
Within easy reach of the city of Adelaide, the Adelaide Hills has numerous fantastic dining options and is a popular destination for foodies. Indulge in some memorable meals and tasty treats when you visit. Here are 10 of the best places to eat in the Adelaide Hills.
• Hardy’s Verandah Restaurant – located at the historic Mount Lofty House, this 3 Hat fine dining restaurant serves a seasonally-changing degustation menu paired with a multi-award-winning wine selection, sake collection, and creative cocktail menu. It’s a culinary journey and dining experience embracing the finer things in life.
• The Lane Vineyard restaurant – just 3 kilometres from the historic village of Hahndorf, this modern restaurant sits elevated in the heart of the vineyard overlooking the picturesque Adelaide Hills. They offer a seasonal lunch menu celebrating local Adelaide Hills produce, including food foraged from their own hills and grown on the estate.
• Mt Lofty Ranges Vineyard restaurant – an all-encompassing destination for wine tastings, functions and mouth-watering local cuisine, the restaurant delivers a premium dining experience with an emphasis on sustainability and food provenance. It’s an elegant, yet understated atmosphere featuring wide timber decks that allow diners to take in the sweeping valley views, and an open fireplace heating the indoors during the winter months.
• Gingko Restaurant at Golding Wines – named after the property’s beautiful Gingko Bilboa trees, the restaurant features a menu abundant with local seasonal produce and delicious flavours. With various menu options available including a seasonal plates shared menu, a wood-fired three course set menu, and a grazing menu, there’s something to please everyone.
• The Crafers Hotel – conveniently located in Crafers, just 20 minutes from Adelaide’s CBD, the hotel bistro is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. An ode to the food and wine of France, and also representative of the classic Aussie pub, there’s a range of delicious menu options to satisfy.
• Uraidla Hotel – this multi-award-winning and pub, café, bakery and brewery in the beautiful Piccadilly Valley has a number of great places to eat and drink, so whether you’re after a light bite or something more substantial, you’ve got options. The recently refurbished and unique 4,000 bottle wine cellar at the hotel, ‘The Tank’, is popular for its fantastic array of wines on offer and tasting experiences.
• Organic Market and Café – a national leader in organics, you can be confident that you’ve chosen the perfect choice for good value, high quality produce at the market. While you’re there experience the licensed café, keeping things simple yet sensational with a range of delicious home-style meals along with fresh juices, smoothies, great coffee, tea, organic beers and wines.
• Fred Eatery – an ideal destination featuring a contemporary café and a neighbouring unique gifts and homewares store, Fred Eatery is a friendly, fun environment to enjoy fresh, approachable and flavour-driven food utilising locally-sourced produce. The menu includes all-day breakfasts, casual lunches, sweet treats and drinks.
• Kitchen 2C – located in the centre of historic Hahndorf, the café is open for breakfast and lunch offering fresh, seasonal produce and artisan coffee. From Asian and Spanish flavours to comforting favourites, the menu is eclectic and includes an impressive selection of cakes and sweets.
• Stirling Cellars & Patisserie – a truly unique gourmet experience, this sleek café and bottle shop combines boutique wines, craft beers and small batch spirits with fine food, specialty coffee and freshly baked pastries to enjoy in house or take away. It’s also a space for education, with wine, coffee, whisky and gin tastings held regularly.
THE BEST PLACES TO STAY IN THE ADELAIDE HILLS
Take your time to enjoy and explore all that the Adelaide Hills has to offer by spending a bit more time in the region. Here are some of our suggestions for great places to stay.
• Mount Lofty House – combine historic charm with indulgent luxury and you’ve got the magnificent Mount Lofty House, a treasured South Australian icon. There’s a selection of stylish room types to choose from, complete with stunning period furnishing, ensuring your stay is a comfortable and memorable.
• Sequoia Lodge – an intimate, luxurious lodge offering unparalleled experiences and accommodating guests over the age of 18, Sequoia sits on the side of Mount Lofty, overlooking the stunning Piccadilly Valley. It has been designed as a private sanctuary with many exclusive amenities and bespoke on-site experiences including sunrise yoga, masterclasses, artisan food experiences, guided nature walks and more.
• Ode to the Orchard – a cosy, curated cottage with a rustic vibe sitting on a hill overlooking orchards and vineyards. Surrounded by the Adelaide Hills’ finest wineries, it’s a great place to base yourself, and when you’re done exploring you can come back and relax in the claw-foot bath or warm up by the fire.
• Luxury Private Farm Escape – a choice of 2 private farm stays set amongst rolling hills in the heart of the Adelaide Hills wine country – just 3 mins to the village of Hahndorf. Enjoy the beautifully designed open spaces, fantastic views, and friendly farm animals along with amenities including a couple’s soak tub, infra-red sauna and local produce.
• Longview Vineyard – located in the picturesque town of Macclesfield, Longview Vineyard has a range of premium vineyard accommodation options including king suites, a lovingly restored homestead, and a brand-new lodge. The site also has a Day Spa and Cellar Door, so whether you’re soaking up the stunning vineyard views, treating yourself at the spa, or enjoying a wine tasting, your stay is sure to be a memorable one.
• Sticky Rice Villas – these unique, award-winning luxury villas, located in the heart of Stirling, are inspired by Balinese, Japanese and Thai architecture and guarantee to evoke the senses, inspire the creative and deliver on experience. The business also offers culinary adventures through their Sticky Rice cooking school.
The best that Australia's wine regions have to offer
Want to see more of what our great wine regions have to offer? Then don’t miss our comprehensive guide to Australia’s Best Wineries and Cellar Doors – from Hunter Valley in the east to Great Southern in the west, it’s the ultimate go-to guide for planning your next wine adventure.
For Wine Selectors Members, make sure to check out our Members Extras offers before planning your next trip, and discover what fantastic offers are available for your wine region destination!
Want to see what all the fuss is about Adelaide Hills wines? Order some for yourself, experience some of the finest examples of premium, cool climate winemaking this country has to offer and save with Wine Selectors.