Best Mudgee Wineries
Mudgee is one of Australia’s oldest wine regions and the birthplace of Australian Chardonnay. Located northwest of Sydney, it is a countryside gem tucked away to the west of the Great Dividing Range. Mudgee (meaning “Nest in the Hills” in the local Aboriginal dialect) has a winemaking history stretching back to 1858. The region produces excellent cool climate wines thanks to frosty winters giving way to warm days and cooler nights.
Discover all the wine delights this beautiful New South Wales region has to offer as we take you on a tour of Mudgee’s best wineries and cellar doors. Explore these along with the best things to do and the perfect spots to enjoy a Mudgee winery lunch, using our guide and interactive map.
Shop Mudgee Wines
Planning a special getaway to the region? We’ll also help you discover the best places to stay in Mudgee, and if you’re interested in what wines Mudgee is famous for, the oldest winery in Mudgee, or the most romantic wineries and vineyards in Mudgee, then you’ve come to the right place. With so many amazing options to explore, you’re guaranteed to find some hidden gems along with some of the best wines in Mudgee. Let’s dive in!
Mudgee Wineries Map
Planning a trip to Mudgee? Download our interactive Mudgee winery map. To save on your browser or device, click here
The Best Mudgee wineries to visit
BUNNAMAGOO ESTATE WINES
Located at Eurunderee, just six kilometres from the Mudgee town centre, Bunnamagoo Estate Wines is a charming winery known for its premium wines and breathtaking scenery. Established by the Paspaley family in 1994, the estate grows high-quality grapes at their Eurunderee and Rockley vineyards, and produces a diverse range of wine varietals and styles offering something for all tastes. Their beautiful Cellar Door boasts floor-to-ceiling windows showcasing spectacular 180-degree views across the vineyard – it's the perfect place for a tasting, whether you’re new to wine and wish to learn more, or are a seasoned connoisseur.
Open daily 10am to 4pm
603 Henry Lawson Drive, Mudgee
Visit the Bunnamagoo Estate Wines website
With the simple philosophy to ‘enjoy great wine with good friends’, Burnbrae Wines is a family-owned winery run by husband-and-wife team Andy and Trine Gay. ‘Burnbrae’, a celtic word meaning ‘field sloping down to a stream’, has a picturesque setting featuring a charming vineyard, historical cellar door, and boutique winery accommodation in Mudgee, making it’s a must-visit destination when you are in the region. The cellar door is the perfect place to sample their range of delicious wines, where visitors can also enjoy a gourmet antipasto platter, picnic on the grounds, or join in on ‘Lazy Pizza Sunday’ every Sunday from 12-4pm taking in the beautiful surrounds and friendly atmosphere.
Open daily 10am to 4pm
548 Hill End Road, Mudgee
Visit the Burnbrae Wines website
First Ridge is one of Mudgee’s premier boutique cellar doors, dedicated to producing the best Italian varietal wines in the region and beyond. Their passion for wine has similarly translated into a passion for the design, functionality and architecture of their cellar door. The simple yet effective intersection of two shipping containers is the heart of its modern yet simplistic design, creating an open plan area in which visitors can taste the wines, while enjoying picturesque views over the vineyard and down the valley back into town. Enjoy the bubby and vivacious Sparkling Sangiovese “Fizzante,” and seductive Sangiovese Rosé, or try the evocative Italian “Enzo” blend, an all-round crowd pleaser.
Open Monday, Thursday and Friday 11am to 4pm, Saturday 10am to 5pm, and Sunday 10am to 4pm
577 Burrundulla Rd, Mudgee (Corner of Burrundulla Rd and Castlereagh Hwy)
Visit the First Ridge website
GILBERT FAMILY WINES
Gilbert Family Wines has been operating since 2004 with 5th generation winemaker, Simon Gilbert and his son, Will, at the helm. Sourcing their grapes from Mudgee, Orange and Eden Valley, Gilbert Family Wines prides itself on handcrafting cool climate wines of exceptional quality. The ethos behind the family business is simple; wise winemaking with fresh appeal.
The Cellar by Gilbert is their tasting room and wine bar, located just on the edge of town. Guests can experience both current and museum released Gilbert wines, and after your tasting experience, stay to enjoy a glass of wine with their Grazing Board or some Small Bites, available Thursday through Sunday.
Open Monday to Wednesday 10am to 3pm, Thursday to Saturday 10am to 5pm, and Sunday 10am to 4pm
137 Ulan Road, Mudgee
Visit the Gilbert Family Wines website
In 1969, Bob Roberts established Huntington Estate on the site of a rundown orchard. Huntington Estate’s 48-year-old vines grow thick in a gentle slope of a high valley in the Central Ranges. Huntington Estate sits in the middle of Mudgee's “golden circle” of vineyards and relies on cool nights and clear days for the grapes to fully ripen. The rustic Cellar Door of Huntington Estate Wines is located approximately 6km from the Mudgee town centre, where you can sample their stunning aged wines with a selection of cheese and biscuits to enhance your tasting experience.
Open daily 10am to 4pm or by appointment
641 Ulan Rd, Buckaroo NSW 2850
Visit the Huntington Estate website
Logan’s vineyards and tasting room in Mudgee are located in the scenic settlement of Apple Tree Flat. For over a decade, the Logan Tasting Room has been wowing visitors from the moment they drive through the gates. Perched neatly on the top of the hill, the clean architectural design perfectly frames the beautiful Mudgee landscape, with stunning views from every angle. Enjoy the view with a bottle of wine and a cheese plate, or a coffee and a big slice of freshly baked cake. Choose to enjoy it all from the big comfy couch, outdoor deck, or picnic on the lawn. The Logan Tasting Room has won a number of national awards, including Gourmet Traveller Wine Magazine - Best Tasting Experience 2018 for the Mudgee region. Taste the full range of Ridge of Tears, Logan, Weemala, Apple Tree Flat and Vintage ‘M’ Cuvée new releases.
Open daily 10am to 5pm
1320 Castlereagh Hwy, Apple Tree Flat
Visit the Logan Wines website
LOWE FAMILY WINES
Lowe Family Wines is a highly regarded winery, known for producing exceptional, handcrafted wines. David Lowe – Director, Chief Winemaker and Vineyard Manager – helped his father plant the first vines on the Tinja property in 1973, and runs the business alongside Director and Executive Chef, Kim Currie. The cellar door provides a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere offering a diverse line-up of wines, including David’s iconic Zinfandel, all of which are made using sustainable and biodynamic farming practices. In addition to the cellar door, Lowe Family Wines offers a range of experiences, including vineyard tours, tastings, and private events. The estate also features a beautiful kitchen garden, which supplies fresh produce to the winery's onsite restaurant, Zin House, the perfect place for a Mudgee winery lunch. If you’re after something more casual, savour a picnic hamper from the Cellar Kitchen and enjoy it on the lawns of the estate. With its focus on sustainability, quality, and hospitality, Lowe Family Wines is a standout winery in the Mudgee region.
Open daily 10am – 5pm
327 Tinja Lane, Mudgee
Visit the Lowe Family Wines website
ROBERT OATLEY VINEYARDS MUDGEE
Established in 1858 and surrounded by picturesque vines and gum trees on the banks of Eurunderee Creek, the Cellar Door of Robert Oatley Vineyards, 'Craigmoor', is Mudgee's oldest winery and vineyard. The Oatley family purchased Craigmoor (formerly known as Poet's Corner) in 2006, renaming the property Robert Oatley Vineyards in 2009. Situated just 5 minutes’ drive from the centre of town, the property features picnic grounds around the Craigmoor Cricket Oval, the historic Craigmoor Winery buildings and within it, the cellar door, wine museum and the Craigmoor Pavillion café. Robert Oatley Vineyards’ distinctive range of award-winning wines are available for tasting and purchase at the Cellar Door. In particular, their local Mudgee wines featuring the famous Craigmoor, Montrose and Wild Oats wines.
Cellar Door Open Friday to Monday from 11am, and is open 7 days during school holidays
815 Craigmoor Road, Mudgee NSW
Visit the Robert Oatley Vineyards website
The Robert Stein vineyard and winery has been owned and operated by the Stein family since its establishment in 1976 and is now a Halliday-rated 5 red star winery. Third generation winemaker, Jacob Stein, is producing award-winning wines using estate grown fruit. Located on Pipeclay Lane, about 8kms north of town, the Robert Stein Winery cellar door has panoramic views over the vineyard and Mudgee valley, and is also home to the Pipeclay Pumphouse Restaurant and a vintage Motorcycle Museum. A wide range of varieties and styles are available for tasting including Riesling and Shiraz, the winery’s flagship varieties.
Open 10am to 4:30pm 7 days a week
Pipeclay Lane, Mudgee
Visit the Robert Stein website
Vinifera Wines is a family-owned winery, established in 1994 by locals Tony and Debbie McKendry, who now work alongside their daughter Samantha to continue to grow and nurture the vineyard and cellar door. They produce a range of award-winning wines including distinctive Spanish red varietals Tempranillo, Garnacha, and Graciano, and classic Australian styles. The Vinifera vineyard is proudly certified organic. Enjoy a wine tasting at their cellar door and sample local produce while you sit back, relax, and take in the sweeping views across the vineyards to the hills beyond.
Open daily: Sunday to Friday 11am – 4pm, Saturday 10am – 5pm
194 Henry Lawson Drive
Visit the Vinifera Wines website
BEST THINGS TO DO IN THE MUDGEE WINE REGION
As a renowned Australian wine destination, your main purpose for visiting Mudgee may be to explore some of the 40 plus wineries in the area, each with its own unique style and specialty. But the region is a must-visit for wine lovers and travellers alike, also known for its rich history and beautiful countryside. In addition to wine, visitors can enjoy gourmet food, scenic views, and activities such as hot air balloon rides and vineyard tours. Here are some to the best things to do in Mudgee.
Mudgee Food and Wine Festival
- Mudgee Food and Wine Festival (2nd – 29th September 2023) – The Mudgee Food and Wine Festival is an annual event that celebrates the region's rich culinary and viticultural heritage. Held over several days in spring, the festival brings together local winemakers, chefs, and artisans to showcase the best of Mudgee's food and wine scene. The festival features a packed program of events, including cooking classes, wine tastings, vineyard tours, and long lunches. With so many activities to choose from, it’s a fantastic way to experience the region's food and wine scene and immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Explore Wollemi National Park – there are several national parks in the region, including Wollemi, Goulburn River and Munghorn Gap. Each offers a unique landscape of bushland, rock formations, and wildlife. Wollemi National Park is World Heritage-Listed and offers a dramatic setting for bushwalking, camping, and wildlife spotting.
- Flavours of Mudgee (Saturday 23rd September 2023) – flavours of Mudgee started as a small event and has continued to grow since its inception in 2012 to become Mudgee’s biggest food and wine event. Over 60 local producers take to Mudgee’s iconic main streets to showcase the best local produce and wine along with a raft of great entertainment.
- Balloon Aloft Mudgee – with its rolling hills, beautiful valley and surrounding mountains, the Mudgee wine region is an ideal place for hot air ballooning. Beginning at sunrise, the hot air ballooning adventures are generally scheduled from Thursday through to Sunday each week. Balloon flights last for approximately one hour and are followed by a delicious breakfast for guests.
- Mudgee Observatory – Located just 15 minutes from town, the Mudgee Observatory features several telescopes which offer visitors the chance to take in the night skies and view celestial objects such as stars, galaxies, and planets. In addition to stargazing, the observatory offers a range of educational programs for the general public and school groups.
- Mudgeeque – Mudgee’s barbeque and smoked meats festival, Mudgeeque, takes place on the first Saturday in winter. Embracing the crisp country air, the festival includes open fire pits, craft brews, warming reds and slow-cooked and smoked meats for attendees to savour.
- Warakirri Dining Experience – Immerse yourself in the beauty of Australian native foods, botanicals, culture and rituals at this 5-course degustation dining experience held at Huntington Estate Wines. Bookings are essential. Pioneered by owner and Ngemba Weilwan woman, Sharon Winsor, the event takes place several times throughout the year. The experience also features authentic cultural entertainment, musical and cultural storytelling, and the in-depth knowledge of Aboriginal culture and food.
BEST PLACES TO EAT IN THE MUDGEE WINE REGION
There’s something special about enjoying delicious meals somewhere new, and this abundant region has a range of fantastic Mudgee winery restaurants and other great culinary venues to explore and savour. Make the most of your visit and be sure to try some of the local gourmet food on offer. Here are some of the best places to eat in the region, including Mudgee winery lunches.
- Pipeclay Pumphouse – this unique, fine dining restaurant at the Robert Stein Vineyard and Winery is housed in a beautifully restored 1940s pump house that once supplied water to the local town. The menu is inspired by the region's local produce, with a focus on fresh and seasonal ingredients and a paddock to plate philosophy. An extensive selection of local wines accompanies the menu.
- The Zin House – this modern farmhouse restaurant at Lowe Family Wines offers a seasonal menu that focuses on local and organic produce. In a warm and inviting atmosphere, the dining experience is designed to reflect things we hold dear – taking time over good food and wine with loved ones. Enjoy a meal with sweeping views of the surrounding vineyards and countryside.
- Althea by Zin – an artisan bakery and patisserie in the heart of Mudgee that combines traditional methods with high quality ingredients, including fresh produce from the organic and biodynamic Lowe Family Wine Co farm. Enjoy a selection of fresh breads, pastries, cakes, sandwiches, and coffee. Open Thursday to Monday 7am – 2pm.
- Mudgee Corner Store – more than your average corner store, the food here is delicious and fuss free. Enjoy a menu that includes consistently great coffee, simple breakfast eats, burgers, toasties, sandwiches, and more, all with a focus on sustainability.
- Three Tails Brewery & Smokehouse – with all products 100% sourced from independent producers, this popular Mudgee restaurant and brewery is known for its delicious low ‘n’ slow smoked meats and craft beers, which are brewed on site. The menu features a range of BBQ dishes, including brisket, ribs, and pulled pork, as well as sides such as mac and cheese, and cornbread.
- Alby and Esthers – located in a cobblestoned corner of Mudgee, in a circa 1873 stone terrace, Alby and Esthers is a coffee house and wine bar that is packed with character and charm. Their contemporary menu showcases the best of local and seasonal produce, and the wine list features a range of impressive local wines.
- Oriental Hotel – centrally located, ‘The Ori’ is one of the town’s most iconic hotels. The ‘Ori Kitchen’ serve classic pub grub including grass-fed steaks and burgers, pizzas, fish and chips, and modern Australian fare. Enjoy your meal with a drink from their drinks menu which includes an extensive gin selection.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN THE MUDGEE WINE REGION
With so much to do and see in the area, you’re going to want to stay a little longer. So, where are the best places to stay in the Mudgee wine region? Here are some of our top picks, including winery accommodation around Mudgee, luxury glamping and nature escapes, boutique hotels, and more.
- Sierra Escape – located just 20 minutes from town, this award-winning, adults only luxury eco glamping experience is a great opportunity to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and soak up country NSW’s beautiful landscapes. Situated on over 280 acres, Sierra is home to all kinds of Australian wildlife including kangaroos, deer, and native birds, and is a great place to relax after a busy day of wine tasting.
- Hideaway Domes – immerse yourself in nature and sleep in comfort under the stars in luxury dome glamping accommodation. Exclusive, secluded and off-grid, it’s an ideal option for couples who are seeking an indulgent, yet environmentally friendly country break.
- Wilgowrah – this luxury country farm escape just 5km from the centre of Mudgee offers three unique and impressive accommodation options for couples. Relax and unwind on a picturesque working farm and enjoy the stunning surrounds.
- Vinestay by Yeates Wines – just 5 minutes from Mudgee, two newly constructed and self-contained one-bedroom spaces offer guests a comfortable and convenient place to stay at Yeates Wines. Choose from the Gate House or the Vine Loft, or book both spaces to accommodate 4 adults.
- Peppertree Terraces – centrally located in Mudgee’s CBD, these 1- and 2-bedroom serviced apartments give you great access to the diverse selection of bars, restaurants, cafes, wineries and pubs in town and its surrounds. The apartments are spacious and family-friendly, with a full kitchen, separate lounge room and off-street parking.
- Cobb & Co Boutique Hotel – stylish, boutique accommodation with a luxury heritage vibe in the heart of the Mudgee township. A selection of room options are available for guests, from beautifully appointed queen rooms to New York-style loft apartments.
THE BEST THAT AUSTRALIA’S WINE REGIONS HAVE TO OFFER
Want to see more of what our great wine regions have to offer? Then don’t miss our comprehensive guide to Australia’s Best Wineries and Cellar Doors – from the Hunter Valley in the east to Great Southern in the west, it’s the ultimate go-to-guide for planning your next wine adventure.
For Wine Selectors Members, make sure to check out our Members Extras offers before planning your next trip, and discover what fantastic offers are available for your wine region destination!
Want to see what all the fuss is about Mudgee wines? Order some for yourself, experience some of the finest examples of premium winemaking this country has to offer and save with Wine Selectors.