CALABRIA FAMILY WINES
Family owned and operated Calabria Family Wines was established by Francesco and Elizabeth Calabria in 1945. Today, the Calabria Family Wines cellar door is a must-visit while you’re in the region. The beautiful Tuscan-style building features huge double front doors that open into an elegant cellar door and tasting area, fitted out with beautiful oak panelling.
Along with a fantastic range of premium wines, the Calabria Wines cellar door experience offers wonderfully warm Italian hospitality that has been passed down through the generations and extends to their wonderful restaurant, Harvest Kitchen. Enjoy sweeping views over the vines and settle in for fabulous feast of dishes that all have a regional focus – how does shared plates of Hutton Vale lamb, pulled pork empanadas, or classic fried chicken sound?
Visitors can enjoy the spectacular winery surroundings and tastings seven days a week and you can call ahead to book for group winery tours and tastings, plus cheese and wine tastings.
1283 Brayne Rd, Griffith
Open weekdays 9am – 4pm, weekends 10am – 4pm
Visit Calabria Family Wines
The Riverina is where the story of De Bortoli Wines began and the winery at Bilbul remains the family’s home to this day. Country hospitality and delicious, quality wines are the signature of the cellar door where De Bortoli’s Italian heritage shines through, and guests are welcomed like old friends - with a smile and a wine glass at the ready.
Amongst the fantastic range of wines on offer is the De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon which was first created in 1982 and is one of the most successful and internationally award-winning wines ever produced in Australia.
The beautiful winery gardens are the perfect place to enjoy a picnic and the children’s playground will keep the kids entertained.
De Bortoli Rd, Bilbul
Open Monday to Saturday 9am – 5pm, Sunday 9am – 4pm
Visit De Bortoli Wines
LILLYPILLY ESTATE WINES
You’ll find the rustic cellar door of Lillypilly Estate Wines nestled behind three superb examples of the native tree from which the winery takes its name. Opened in 1982, the family owned, single vineyard boutique winery welcomes visitors from across Australia and around the world.
All fruit is sourced from their own vineyard and the wine is produced and bottled on site. The friendly cellar door showcases the full range of Lillypilly wines, from classic whites and reds to award-winning dessert wines and unique blends, Tramillon® and Red Velvet®.
47 Lillypilly Rd, Leeton
Open Monday to Saturday 10am – 5pm, Sunday by appointment
Visit Lillypilly Estate Wines
Nestled amid the vines and an idyllic garden setting, McWilliam’s Hanwood Estate cellar door brings the rich history of the winery and region to life through its expressive wines. The friendly and knowledgeable staff share what makes the Riverina perfect for the creation of award-winning wines.
Taste your way through an array of varietals and see how this family estate has become an icon of Australian wine. Relax with a picnic on the sprawling lawns, take a tour, private or group tasting, or enjoy a delicious food platter of local produce.
Jack McWilliam Rd, Hanwood
Open Wednesday to Saturday 10am – 4pm, Monday to Tuesday by appointment only
Visit McWilliam’s Wines
MINO & CO WINES
Established in 1997, Mino & Co Wines is located in Hanwood, and are the producers of the Signor Vino, A Grower’s Touch and Little William labels.
Mino & Co Wines is owned-and-operated by the Guglielmino family, who, with an Italian heritage, are passionate about the Italian and alternative varieties, that thrive in the Riverina’s Mediterranean climate. The region’s warmer climate and terroir can be compared with that of the Southern areas of Italy, where the indigenous varieties originated. These varieties typically use up to 65% less water than the classics.
They also source cool climate fruit from growers in Adelaide Hills, the Barossa Valley and other South Australian regions. Awarded the Best Small Cellar Door in the Riverina 2019 by Gourmet Traveller Wine, their cellar door is the perfect place to taste their premium wines including Prosecco, Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Bortrytis Semillon, Fiano, Vermentino, Shiraz, Durif, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, and Nero d’Avola.
113 Hanwood Avenue, Hanwood
Open Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm. Saturday via appointment only (phone 02 69630200) Sunday – Closed.
Visit Mino & CO Wines
Nugan Estate was founded in 1940 by Alfredo Nugan who emigrated from Spain. The business was initially a small fruit and vegetable packing operation which grew exponentially in the 1980s under the guidance of Michelle Nugan, however it wasn't until the 1990s that the family diversified into wine. Michelle's children Matthew and Tiffany helped build the wine business into one Australia’s top 20 wine exporters and the company is now solely lead by Matthew Nugan.
Nugan Estates’ Riverina vineyard, Cookoothama vineyard is located on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. They also own substantial vineyards in King Valley, Langhorne Creek, Coonawarra, McLaren Vale and Wrattonbully and producing premium and award-winning Chardonnay, Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Cabernet, Merlot, Durif, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Shiraz and Zinfandel, plus beautiful blends, Rosé and Sparkling.
Although Nugan Estate doesn’t have a Cellar Door in the Riverina, they do welcome visitors to look around their hugely impressive Barrel Room. Completed in 2001, every single remarkable element of this space was built specifically to Michelle Nugan’s design.
580 Kidman Way, Willbriggie
Welcome by appointment with a minimum two days’ notice by phoning 02 6963 3900
Visit Nugan Estates
Located just 1.7km north of Yenda, the Yarran Wines cellar door is set within the vineyard with panoramic views over the vines and sweeping up to the Cocoparra National Park ranges.
They offer a great range of red and white varieties including Sparkling, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Cabernet, Shiraz and Merlot, plus some interesting alternative reds such as Petit Verdot and Durif.
The surrounding countryside provides a picturesque backdrop for a unique tasting experience and you’re very welcome to enjoy a picnic lunch on the balcony.
Myall Park Rd, Yenda
Open Monday to Saturday 10am – 5pm
Visit Yarran Wines
BEST THINGS TO DO IN THE RIVERINA
While amazing wineries and cellar doors may be your main incentive for a visit to the Riverina, there are some great additional activities to enjoy while you are there. Here are some of our favourites.
- The Rock Nature Reserve - Kengal Aboriginal Place: Tucked away in quiet farmland, this is a small but diverse haven surrounding a remarkable geological giant: The Rock, soaring 364m above the plains. The area offers scenic picnic spots, walking opportunities, picnicking, birdwatching and rock climbing, close to Wagga Wagga.
- Coolamon Canola Trail: Follow the Canola Trail as it winds through spectacular fields of gold to explore the charming towns and quaint villages, overflowing with hidden gems.
- Riverina produce market: Held each Thursday in Wagga Wagga, a variety of stalls sell fresh and prepared foods, food related products and complementary homewares. Products include meat, fruit, vegetables, cheeses, bread, honey, jams, berries, pickles, sweet treats, chocolate and more, directly from the producer to you.
- Junee Liquorice and Chocolate: As soon as you step foot in the front door you'll be immersed with the delicious aroma of liquorice and chocolate, plus join one of the chocolatiers as they talk you through the process of liquorice and chocolate production and witness it being made before your eyes.
- Wagga Wagga Food & Wine Festival: If you’re planning a trip to the Riverina in February, don’t miss out on this fun and flavour-packed festival. From humble beginnings, it has become a popular stand-alone annual event which attracts more than 4,000 people with local wineries, breweries, and food outlets all showcasing their delicious goodies.
- Coolamon Cheese: Located in the centre of the idyllic, country village of Coolamon, Coolamon Cheese Co was founded by passionate and highly skilled artisan cheese makers and is supported by the progressive local community. They create an innovative range of handcrafted cheeses that are a sensual delight and have also pioneered handcrafted lactose free cheeses ensure sure those who are lactose intolerant don’t miss out.
BEST PLACES TO EAT IN THE RIVERINA
- Zecca: Located in Griffith, Zecca is housed in one of the town’s iconic art deco buildings – the former Rural Bank. It’s a laidback, casual Italian eatery dedicated to providing an authentic, fun and memorable experience.
- Limone : Also located in Griffith, Limone was constructed almost entirely from recycled materials, reclaimed from within the local area. The food reflects the region’s abundant produce and rich European heritage with local and seasonal produce showcased in their ever-evolving menu.
- Thirsty Crow Brewing Co.: The perfect place to quench your thirst, the Thirsty Crow Brewing Co is a family-owned, fiercely independent brewpub in Wagga Wagga (place of many crows). Enjoy a bowl of fries, a burger, a pizza, or some smart street food washed down with their award-winning range of local boutique beers on tap and bottled for take-away.
- Artisan Baker: So French, So Fresh: This French- owned and operated artisan boulangerie and patisserie brings the taste of France to Wagga Wagga. With cafe seating and barista coffee, it specialises in sourdough and French-style breads, mille feuille, frangipane tartes, house-made pies, sausage rolls and more.
- Fitz Café: Another local Wagga Wagga foodie-haunt, the Fitz Café is opened for breakfast and lunch serving a deliciously diverse menu with loads of yummy gluten free, dairy-free, refined sugar free and vegan options available.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN THE RIVERINA
With so many wonderful places to visit and things to do in the Riverina, you’re going to want to visit for at least a couple of days. So, where are some of the best places to stay in the area? From luxurious farm cottages and comfortable homesteads to glamping in stylish eco-huts, the Riverina loads of great accommodation options.
- Kimo Estate: Kimo is a luxury accommodation, wedding and reception venue situated 10 minutes from Gundagai on a working 7000-acre sheep and cattle farm. They offer onsite accommodation for up to 32 people in their three Eco Huts, two cottages, and the unique shearers quarters.
- Corynnia Station Outback Farmstay: Corynnia Station is a 17,000-acre busy working property out of Carrathool via Hay. The owners have chosen to share their historic and truly Australian part of the world with their guests.
- Hillview Farmstay: Participate in authentic farm experiences, with interactive activities for all ages while staying in self-contained cottages or glamping safari tents.
- Flash Jacks: This luxury boutique hotel sits proudly above the main street of Gundagai with commanding views of the beautiful hills surrounding this pretty little town. Explore the beauty of the region or simply getaway and enjoy the peace and quiet away.
Want to see more of what our great wine regions have to offer? Then don’t miss our comprehensive guide to Australia’s Best Wineries and Cellar Doors – from Hunter Valley in the east to Great Southern in the west, it’s the ultimate go-to guide for planning your next wine adventure.
Want to discover what is so wonderful about Riverina wines? Order some for yourself today – experience some of the region’s finest and save with Wine Selectors.