1 whole cauliflower, leaves and head
50g plain flour
50g Parmesan cheese, grated
50g Cheddar cheese, grated
Recipe by Colin Fassnidge
Photography by Jon Bader
1. For the cauliflower: With a sharp knife trim the green leaves around the head.
2. Carefully remove the white of the cauliflower from the green leaves at the base with a small knife.
3. Blanch the green leaves crown in boiling salted water for 1 minute then refresh in iced water. Keep for later.
4. Blanch the white cauliflower crown in boiling salted water for 4 ½ minutes until just cooked, remove (can be chilled if not using immediately).
5. Dry off the cauliflower head in a small pan.
6. For the cheese sauce: In a pan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
7. Stir in the flour.
8. Reduce the heat to a low heat and cook for 3–4 minutes, then add milk, whisking till there are no lumps.
9. Allow to simmer, whisking gently for 5 minutes.
10. Add cheeses and whisk until melted.
11. To serve: Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
12. Pour cheese over blanched whole cauliflower and bake in oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is golden.
13. Serve whole in green leaves of cauliflower, making it look like a whole cauliflower again.