Being so rich with a buttery texture, Toothfish is a superb match with a traditional-style Chardonnay. We think the Tinklers Chardonnay 2015 from the Hunter Valley would be a perfect pairing with this dish. Flavoursome, stylish and strongly varietal, it features sweet stonefruit and hints of honey and nougat supported by fresh vanillin oak and lemony acidity.
1. For the shiitake aioli, soak shiitake mushroom in hot water for one hour. Strain and keep mushroom stock. Slice mushroom and simmer in the soy, sugar and mushroom stock for one hour until mushrooms are tender. Cool mushrooms, blend in processor until finely chopped. Add Japanese mayo (or substitute for freshly made mayo) and blend for 30 seconds.
2. For black rice wafer, simmer rice with spices for 30-40 minutes until rice is soft. Remove cinnamon stick and star anise then blend in food processor until smooth. Spread 2mm thick onto baking paper on baking tray and dehydrate in oven at 60°C for 4-5 hours until dry and crisp. Deep fry in hot oil at 190°C until crispy.
3. Dill oil: Pick dill leaves off the stem. Heat oil to 122°C then add dill and blend in food processor for 2 minutes until oil is green.
4. Shitake suimono: Add all ingredients into
a pot and simmer for 30 minutes then strain.
5. Zucchini spaghetti: Peel and julienne with papaya peeler. Blanch for 20 seconds. Refresh in ice water.
6. Enoki mushrooms: Loosen enoki mushrooms and dust in flour. Heat pan
with grapeseed oil and fry enoki until crisp. Set aside.
7. Cooking Toothfish: Lightly salt skin. Place pan on stove top on medium-high heat. Oil the pan, place fish skin down for 1 minute and then into oven at 180°C for 5 minutes. (Handy tip: if pan is not hot enough, the skin will stick to the pan.)
8. To serve: In a bowl plate, place 100ml
of shiitake suimono. Zucchini is placed next. Place cooked Toothfish next with skin facing upwards. A teaspoon of aioli, followed by crisp enoki. Place black rice wafer on side