2 medium (100g) eshallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced,
e.g. caps, Portobello, shiitake
14 sprigs thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup (60ml) dry sherry, Malmsey or port
2 tsp (10ml) extra virgin olive oil
8 small button mushrooms, cut into quarters
2/3 cup (70g) walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Melba toast, crusty bread to serve
1. Place large frying pan over medium heat; melt half the butter then cook eshallots and garlic until translucent. Add remaining butter and when melted, the mushrooms, half the thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add sherry or Malmsey and cook again until evaporated. Remove to a bowl.
2. Wipe out pan with paper towel. Return to heat and add olive oil, then cook button mushrooms briefly until just golden. Remove to paper towel to drain.
3. Process toasted walnuts in a blender or food processor until evenly chopped. Add mushroom mixture and parsley and process briefly so it is still textured. Check seasoning.
4. Pack mixture into well-oiled ramekins or bowl. Press sliced button mushrooms into the top. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
5. Garnish with extra thyme sprigs and walnuts. Serve with Melba toast or crusty bread.