4 x 200gm Huon Salmon portions (all middle or all tail so they cook at the same time)
Toum (can be substituted with store bought whipped garlic dip)
1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves, cut in half
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
300ml sunflower oil
400g chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 bulb of fennel, thick outer layer first removed, halved and sliced
100g mini Roma or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 bunch parsley leaves, picked
1/2 bunch coriander leaves, picked
1/2 bunch mint
Salt and pepper
Mount Zero Dukka (optional) or similar
1 lemon, halved
Recipe by Ben O'Donoghue
1. For the toum: Soak the peeled garlic in ice water while you gather the other ingredients.
2. Drain the peeled garlic and place into a Thermomix or jug blender.
3. Add salt, water and lemon juice to mixer. Blend briefly at high speed to purée. Then, in a slow stream, add sunflower oil. Once all the oil is incorporated stop blending - don t let it get hot as it will split and turn to liquid.
4. Remove to a small bowl and check the seasoning, adjusting to taste.
5. For the chickpea tabouli salad: In a large fry pan, heat your olive oil and add the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Fry on a high heat until crisp and crunchy, season with salt and remove to a bowl.
6. In the same pan add your onions and sauté until soft, add the fennel and toss to just warm through. Add the halved tomatoes and the seasoned chickpeas. Roughly chop the herbs and add to the chickpea mix season with salt and pepper and set aside.
7. For the salmon: Liberally season your portions with salt and pepper and place them skin side down on the barbeque. Cook until you see the colour change pale to at least 3/4 up the side.
8. Meanwhile, place your lemon halves cut side down on the barbeque. Let salmon skin crisp and char, then turn the fish portions over, turning the heat down and cooking for a few minutes longer. Aim for the fish to remain pink and juicy in the middle - if you like it well done, keep cooking to preference.
9. To serve: Place a big dollop of the whipped garlic on the plate and top with cooked salmon skin side up with the tabouli. Cut each lemon half in half again and serve with each plate, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of dukka.