570g bread flour
2 tsp fine salt
1 tsp instant dried yeast
1½ cups (375ml) cold water
Semolina mix, for sprinkling (see NOTE)
Olive oil, for drizzling
400g can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
340g fresh buffalo mozzarella, drained, torn into
Small bunch basil, leaves picked
Olive oil, for drizzling
Make the Dough
1. Place the flour, salt and yeast in the bowl of a bench mixer. Using the dough hook, mix to combine. Add the water and knead on low speed for 5-6 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 x 240g pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball.
4. Lightly sprinkle two baking trays with these molina mix and place the dough balls on the trays, leaving 10cm between the balls. Drizzle each ball with a little oil, spread the oil to coat the dough. Cover each tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 5 days.
Make the Sauce
1. Blend or process the tomatoes and salt until smooth.
Make the Pizzas
1. Just before cooking remove the dough from the refrigerator and stand, covered, at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. About 20 minutes before the dough is finished resting, on Breville’s Smart Oven Pizzaiolo™ select the WOOD FIRED setting and preheat the oven (preheat can take up to 20 minutes).
3. Use a bench scraper to lift out one of the dough balls and dip both sides in the semolina mix to coat. Keep the remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out. Gently press out the dough working from the centre into a 20cm round, leaving a 2cm border. Lightly sprinkle the peel with the semolina mix. Carefully transfer the dough onto the peel, gently shaking off any excess semolina mix.
4. Spread a quarter of the sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a 1-2cm border. Scatter a quarter of the mozzarella and basil over the sauce.
5. Transfer the pizza to the oven and cook for 2 minutes or until the crust is spotted brown and the cheese is melted. Drizzle with the oil.
6. Transfer to a cutting board, slice and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining dough, sauce and toppings.
Note: To make the semolina mix, simply combine equal parts of semolina and plain flour. Store in an airtight container. Refrigerating the dough for 1-3 days is preferred but can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.