50 minutes + 10 minutes resting
with famous chicken bread
Colin Fassnidge's whole roast chicken with famous chicken bread recipe is a classic choice for your next Sunday dinner, even better when paired with a richer white wine like Chardonnay, Roussanne or Viognier.
1 medium size whole free range chicken
1 potato, sliced
1 sourdough loaf, cut horizontal
20g butter, diced
Olive oil, to drizzle
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 red onion, peeled and sliced finely
1 bunch basil
½ bunch tarragon
2 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
Recipe by Colin Fassnidge
Photography by Jon Bader
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
2. In a large bowl, marinate the chicken with rosemary, thyme and garlic.
3. Lay sliced potatoes on bottom of roasting tray, followed by the sourdough on top. Evenly distribute diced butter and drizzle with olive oil. Season the bread and scatter the onions and garlic on top.
4. Sprinkle the basil, tarragon and rosemary over the bread, then place the chicken on top and gently press it into the seasoned sourdough.
5. Drizzle chicken skin with olive oil and place in oven for 50 minutes, or until core temperature at bone is 65ºC–70ºC.
6. Once chicken is cooked, remove the chicken off bread to rest. Divide the base into your desired portions. Bread should be crispy on top and soft on the bottom.
7. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve with sides.