2 tablespoons (40ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 medium eggplant (approx. 300g each), cut into 1cm strips
1 cup (60g) panko breadcrumbs
½ cup (40g) Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion salt or garlic salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 egg whites
¼ cup (75g) aioli
1 teaspoon pureed chipotle in adobo, wasabi or sriracha
½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC (fan-forced). Brush two baking trays with some of the oil.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, oregano, onion salt and pepper in a medium-sized plastic bag.
3. Whisk the egg whites with a splash of cold water in a shallow bowl.
4. Toss the eggplant, a few pieces at a time, in the egg white to coat. Then put in the plastic bag and shake to coat in panko mixture. Place the eggplants on the baking trays. Repeat until all the eggplant chips are coated. Drizzle with remaining oil.
5. Place the eggplant in the oven and turn every 5 minutes, for a total of 20-25 minutes or until they are crisp and brown.
6. For the mayo: whisk together all ingredients with a fork.
7. Serve eggplant chips immediately, with mayo of choice.
Vermentino, Fiano or Pinot G
Photography: Libby Travers