80 ml virgin olive oil
700ml chicken stock
150g Parmigiano Reggiano
Juice of 1/2 lemon
600g chicken breast
4 chicken livers
180ml pouring cream
10 chicken hearts
1 cup panko crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1. To make the chicken dumplings: use a kitchen knife to separately chop the chicken breast, livers and hearts into small pieces.
2. Transfer half the chopped breast and egg to a food processor and process until quite fine.
3. Add the cream in a thin stream and continue to process to form a mousse.
4. Add the chicken heart, liver, and remaining chicken breast, nutmeg, panko crumbs, teaspoon salt and the white pepper to the food processor and pulse to combine.
5. Cook a small spoonful in simmering water until firm to test for balance of flavour and texture. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
6. To make the casarecce: put the olive oil and 40g of the butter in a heavy- based saucepan over low heat. Add the pasta and stir to coat it evenly.
7. Add the chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
8. Using a dessertspoon, make small balls of the chicken dumpling mixture and add it to the pasta (approximately 3–4 balls per person).
9. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
10. Remove the pan from the heat and finish with the Parmigiano Reggiano and the remaining butter.
11. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and a generous grinding of white pepper.
12. Serve with a simple salad of green and bitter leaves.
Wine match: Vermentino or Fiano
Photography: Rob Palmer, Styling: Emma Knowles, Food Prep: Sarah-Jane Hallett