4 pieces white fish fillet, pin boned
300g soba noodles
4 stalks chives, trimmed
300ml dashi stock (see soba sushi rolls recipe)
15ml light soy sauce
15ml mirin10ml sake
Salt to taste
3 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp water
½ carrot, cut into batons
50g shimeji mushroom, trimmed
2 stalks broccoli, trimmed
Dashi stock (enough to soak vegetables)
1. Place fish fillet on a tray, skin side down. Rub flesh with a little salt, allow to stand 10 minutes, flesh will become firmer.
2. Cook soba noodles according to packet instructions. Refresh in iced water. Drain well and keep aside.
3. Wrap fish fillets around soba noodles.
4. Blanch vegetables and soak in dashi stock to infuse flavour.
5. Combine sauce ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil. Mix cornflour and water together and add to pot.
6. Place fish (skin side up) on top of noodles on a piece of plastic wrap. Cover, place in steamer over boiling water for 8-10 minutes.
7. To serve: place fish in the centre of the bowl, followed by warm vegetables. Finish off by pouring hot sauce over the top.
Wine match: Pinot Noir