Dan Hong of Mr.Wong restaurant in Sydney shares his Charsiu Roasted Toothfish dish. Pair with a Grenache or silken Pinot Noir to take the toothfish to the next level, particularly with the savoury/sweet charsiu marinade featured in this dish.
200g toothfish fillet, skin off, boned
Bamboo leaf or banana leaf to serve
120g hoisin sauce
60g ground bean paste
60g red fermented tofu
10ml Rosé wine
5ml sesame oil
Few drops red food colouring
½ bunch red radish
2 tablespoons pickled ginger
250ml white vinegar
125g caster sugar
Recipe by Dan Hong
Photography by John Paul Urizar
Styling by Michaela Le Compte
Food Prep by Julie Ballard
1. Marinade: Blend hoisin sauce, tofu and bean paste together until smooth. Add the Rosé, water, sesame oil and food colouring and blend. Cover toothfish in marinade for 2 days.
2. Pickled vegetables: Wash and clean radish, remove stalks and cover with pickling liquid and leave for at least 48 hours.
3. Peel ginger and finely slice on a mandolin. Place in cold water in a pot, bring to boil, drain then pour over some pickling liquid and leave for at least 2 days.
4. Toothfish: Pre-heat grill to high. Wash marinade off toothfish and pat dry. Place on a greased baking tray, grill for approximately 6–8 mins. Test by inserting a metal skewer and if it easily goes in and out without resistance, it’s ready.
5. Transfer fish to plate. Brush toothfish liberally with honey and use a blowtorch to create a charred exterior.
Serve immediately presented on a bamboo leaf or banana leaf with the pickled radish, cut into wedges and ginger on the side of the plate.
Grenache or Pinot Noir